Top five must-see movies in theaters this summer

Heather Andelsman, Staff Reporter

You don’t have to wait for a rainy day as an excuse to hit the movie theater — this summer’s upcoming crop of movies is reason enough. With the variety and abundance in the lineup of this summer’s releases, there is something that caters to everyone. Animations, highly anticipated sequels, girl power and action-packed superhero films are all included in the list. Having trouble choosing? Here are The Arcade’s top five movies that are must-sees for the summer.

rs_634x940-160307074539-634.captain-america-civil-war-poster-chris-evans-robert-downey-jr.3716

Captain America: Civil War: May 6

If you’re thinking, “not another Marvel movie,” stop right there, because “Captain America: Civil War” is much more than another superhero movie. It follows the clash of Iron Man and Captain America, two of the main members of The Avengers. Lines are drawn and all of the Marvel heroes are pitted against one another. As fans have prepared to see it, much has been discussed about the conflict and how it will play out from the original comic books. For Marvel fans, this is obviously a must-see, and for non-Marvel fans, summer is the perfect time to catch up with a binge-watch of the other movies before it leaves theaters.

neighbors2-3

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising: May 20

The first “Neighbors” movie involved shirtless frat members Zac Efron and Dave Franco performing ridiculous pranks on new parents Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne. The newest installment, which replaces Franco and Efron with sorority members Selena Gomez and Chloë Grace Moretz, will probably involve similar levels of debauchery. After the not-so-family friendly shenanigans of the first film, the Radner family is sure to have some tricks up their sleeve to fight back against a new slew of partiers.

finding-dory-poster

Finding Dory: June 17

As a college student, there are few things more satisfying than reliving your childhood for a couple of hours in a movie theater. The movie that everyone has been waiting for, possibly even more so than “Toy Story 3,” is finally going to be released this summer. “Finding Dory,” out June 17, brings back all of your “Finding Nemo” favorites, including Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Crush and more. This time, Dory is the lost fish, which is not surprising considering her unfortunate short-term memory loss, a trait that was comically highlighted in the first film. As Nemo and Marlin go on an adventure to help her, laughter and tears — hopefully of the nostalgic variety — are sure to follow.

ghostbusters-2016-poster

Ghostbusters: July 15

Who you gonna call? This summer, it’s Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. Any reboot with a predominantly female cast is sure to generate some attention and “Ghostbusters” is doing exactly that. The classic film is back with a twist. Although the trailer has been hit with dislikes on Youtube and some backlash from original fans, the film still has its beloved original to back it up and stars some of the hottest stars in comedy, so it’s sure to be a hilarious hit.

12799154_1726798514224178_1085357541924335896_n

Sausage Party: August 12

“Sausage Party” may be an animation like Finding Dory, but this film is a far cry from a kid’s movie. With a bill of huge comedy stars including Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Kristen Wiig, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, James Franco and more, “Sausage Party” is sure to be a hit. The movie is about a world where food at the grocery store can talk, which may seem juvenile, but trust can be had in the actors that make this movie so enticing. This will definitely make for one last laugh before heading back to school in August.