RHA free Tulane Spring Formal debuts Thursday

Taylor DeMulling, Associate Arcade Editor

If you’ve been looking for something to put a spring in your step as the end-of-semester doldrums drag on, look no further than Spring Formal.

Tulane Residence Hall Association will host its first Spring Formal, an event open to all Tulane students. The event will take place April 21 at Eiffel Society. It is entirely free, and transportation will be provided to and from the venue.

The Community Government of Weatherhead Hall, Mayer Residences, Aron Residences and Willow Residences came up with the idea to host a formal available to all Tulane students. While many members of fraternities, sororities and other campus organizations have the opportunity to attend a formal event hosted by their group, a similar off-campus event was missing for the student body as a whole. RHA stepped in to make it possible for those who may not have had a comparable event available to them.

“Around this time of year, there are a lot of events and formals and things of that nature, which people really enjoy, so we wanted to create an event of that nature that all Tulane students could really go to and enjoy,” said Griffin Sandler, CG President for Weatherhead and Mayer.

RHA planned for around 200 attendees, and has already sold about 75 percent of its tickets. It foresees sales increasing as the event nears. As it is being put on by its Community Government, the event was promoted mainly towards residents of Weatherhead, Mayer, Aron and Willow, but it is not limited exclusively to them.

Food will be available for those looking to devour some hors d’oeuvres; Eiffel Society will offer veggie nachos, Asian chicken and waffles, fried portobello ravioli and BBQ shrimp bruschetta to appeal to a variety of different tastes.

The Community Government is also in talks with a student DJ, and hopes to offer that in lieu of the typical music playlist. It also plans on having a photographer document the event. The grand scale of Spring Formal sets it apart from many other events RHA has put on previously.

“It’s not really like any other RHA event that’s been done before,” Sandler said. “Usually the programs are slightly smaller scale, they’re on campus, [there are] not as many residents.”

For those who are unable to attend other formals, or are just looking for one more opportunity to get dressed up, RHA Spring Formal is a fun and free option.