Tulane announces firing of men’s basketball head coach Conroy

Mackenna Barker, Online Sports Editor

After two upsets and an unexpected trip to the American Athletic Conference Championship semifinals, Tulane men’s basketball closed its season Saturday night on a 74-54 loss to Memphis. Monday morning, Tulane Athletics announced that head coach Ed Conroy will not return to the program.

“I would like to thank my staff and all the players, including the 20 who earned their degrees during my tenure, who worked so hard to build our program and I would especially like to thank this year’s team for staying the course and growing so much throughout the process,” Conroy said. “Because of their efforts, I believe Tulane basketball is poised for great success in the future.”

Through six seasons with the Wave, Conroy compiled an overall 92-103 record. Last season, its first in the AAC, the Wave went 15-16 overall and 6-12 in conference. This season, Tulane finished last in the AAC with an overall 12-22 mark, 3-15 in conference.

“Tulane University owes a debt of gratitude to Coach Conroy for the six years of service he has given to our institution and our student-athletes,” Athletic Director Troy Dannen said. “He has consistently represented himself and our men’s basketball program with character and integrity, and has carried himself with class in all matters.”

Men’s basketball is the third Tulane program for which Dannen will instate personnel changes in the aim of moving Tulane towards the winning side of the AAC.

“This institution expects to be top forty in everything it does,” Dannen said. “We want a top forty med school, a top forty law school. We should have a top forty athletic program. Those, institutionally, are the expectations for how we see ourselves standing nationally and I expect no less for basketball.”

Tulane will begin the search for a new coach to head the program immediately.

“We will immediately commence a search for our next head men’s basketball coach,” Dannen said. “The foundation which Ed has built combined with our recent move to the American Athletic Conference affords a great opportunity to achieve excellence on the court, in the classroom and in the community.”