Medical student shot in abdomen while trying to intervene in a robbery Friday morning

Breaking+News

Breaking News

Kate Jamison, Online News Editor

A 25-year-old Tulane Medical School student was shot in the abdomen at 4 a.m. Friday at the corner of Magazine and St. Mary streets. He told police he was driving when he saw what he thought was an attempted abduction.

He pulled over and approached the suspect. The suspect started to demand property from the victim. When the victim said he wasn’t carrying anything, the suspect pulled a gun on him and shot him in the abdomen, according to an update from New Orleans Police Department. 

The victim was taken to Tulane Medical Center and is in critical condition but he has made some progress since this morning, according to NOPD. 

Surveillance cameras located in the area captured a video of the shooting. The video shows the victim standing against a building and a black male in a light colored hooded sweatshirt threatening him with a gun. The suspect then shoots him once in the abdomen. After the victim falls down, the suspect tries to shoot him in the head but the weapon malfunctions. 

*Warning: graphic content*

The student, Peter Gold, is in his fourth year at Tulane Medical School. Gold also completed his undergraduate studies at Tulane. His sister and parents are alumni as well, according to an email from university president Michael Fitts. 

NOPD is investigating this case.