Howard-Tilton Memorial Library implements new security procedures

In an effort to create a safer and more secure environment, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library staff will be implementing new security standards this semester. 

Starting Monday anyone entering the library after 8 p.m. will go through a new security turnstile before entering the building.

After this time, only Tulane affiliates and Howard-Tilton Memorial Library borrowing card holders will be allowed to use the library. A Tulane ID or library borrowing card will be needed for entry.

After 1 a.m., only Tulane affiliates with a valid Tulane ID may enter the library.

An officer will be available at the entrance of the library to assist with any problems, answer questions and monitor new security cameras installed throughout the library.

David Banush, dean of libraries and academic information resources, sent an email to students, faculty and staff on Tuesday detailing the new late-night security procedures.

The email also referred recipients to a link detailing the new policy, along with many of the library’s other building and conduct policies.

“We believe that limiting access to the building at certain times, coupled with some other safety measures, will help everyone feel more secure when using our facilities,” the website said.

The Q&A portion of this site answers questions that students may have concerns about, including forgotten Splash Cards, library guests and the potential for extended operating hours.

According to the site, students may still enter the library after 8 p.m. without a Splash Card if they can present a valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license. Students can also escort guests into the library after 8 p.m. given that their guest also has some form of ID.

The site also states that while there are currently no plans to open the building 24/7, the new security set up may allow for extended hours to be a possibility in the future.

“The library is one of the busiest and most accessible buildings on campus,” the linked website said. “While we want to be as welcoming as possible to the entire community, our primary mission is to serve Tulane students and faculty.  To do so effectively, we want to create an environment that is as safe as possible without being too restrictive.”

The link to the website can be found here for further information regarding the new security policies: https://library.tulane.edu/about/library-building-policies.