Hillel’s Kaj Friis-Hecht heats up “Chopped Junior”

The camera catches every moment as mystery ingredients haunt competitors and Ted Allen begins his countdown. Even professional chefs falter in the “Chopped” kitchen, yet 9-15-year-olds have proven they can take on the challenge, as long as their blue step ladder is present.

One of the newest competitors is Hillel Kitchen’s Kaj Friis-Hecht. At the young age of 10, he has trained in the HK NOLA kitchen, working alongside Chef Harveen, the sous chefs and line cooks. Friis-Hecht has proven his determination and passion for cooking that prepared him for “Chopped Junior” while working at Hillel.

“Chopped Junior” is a spin-off of Food Network Favorite “Chopped,” where four chefs compete each episode in a three-round competition to display the best appetizer, entree and dessert. The only catch: there are four mystery ingredients which must be incorporated within the 30-minute time constraints. The winner of each episode wins $10,000 and their very own chef’s coat.

The episode, entitled “Chicken and Do-Nots,” is judged by Chefs Daniel Churchill and Marcus Samuelsson with celebrity judge actress Allison Williams. With a twist on chicken and waffles, tropical frosting and battles over ice cream makers, Hecht is in for a challenge.

Hecht’s entry into the “Chopped Junior” kitchen will air Tuesday January 31 at 8 p.m. on the Food Network.