Students warned of recent flu outbreak

The Student Health Center has seen an increase in the number of students seeking treatment for the flu within the last week, according to an email from Housing and Residence Life Monday.

“Most of these cases are associated with students who did not get the flu shot earlier in the year,” Campus Health Medical Director Daniel Garrett said. “In some cases, students did receive the flu shot but may have received it too late to be effective.”

According to Wendy Schneider, manager of communications and marketing at the SHC, the flu shot typically takes two weeks to provide protection from the flu.

In October, the SHC provided free flu vaccines to 2,100 students to protect the Tulane community from the flu. Low-cost flu shots are still available by appointment.

Those who have not received a flu shot or who have received one within the last two weeks should take extra measures to avoid getting sick, including washing hands regularly and not sharing drinks or utensils.

Students experiencing flu symptoms should schedule an appointment with the SHC at selfcare.tulane.edu or call 504-865-5255 for an evaluation. Students who are unsure about their symptoms can call the Nurse Advice Line at 855-487-0290.

Flu and Cold Facts_Handout_2016-10-14