Aca-Shabat: Hillel provides dinner and a show

Molly Maugeri, Staff Reporter

In order to properly celebrate an event that practices a refrain from electronic, Tulane’s Hillel found an aca-mazing alternative.

As the sukkah was set up and the tables began to fill, students and faculty prepared to share Shabbat dinner together alongside Tulane’s finest acapella groups. Services began at 6:30 p.m. last Friday, followed by a brief prayer at 7 p.m. and the first course, which is typically salad and challah bread. There were so many attendees that Hillel scrambled to find extra tables and seating for the overwhelming number of people; some even found themselves eating off the coffee tables and couches that line the wall indoors.

Following the first course was a chicken and vegetable dish, accompanied by Manischewitz wine. At 8 p.m., dinner concluded and everyone migrated outside to the sidewalk and yard in front of Hillel to watch the acapella groups sing and perform.

The first of these groups was Tulane’s Green Envy which is a combination of male and female students of all years, the second group was Tulane University Lady’s Acapella and the third was Them. The groups sang songs included “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit and “La La La” by Naughty Boy and Sam Smith. The playlist included solos from female and male members.

“I am really proud to be a part of this group for all four years,” TULA President Laura Stanfel said on what it means to be involved with her own group and Tulane’s acapella scene as a whole. “I love to see it grow, and I’ll miss it a lot when I graduate.”

Stanfel created Jason Moore’s “Pitch Perfect” franchise for growing interest in acapella groups across the country.

“‘Pitch Perfect’ has shed light on acapella communities, has encouraged people to watch the groups and try out for them, and, overall, has had a positive influence on acapella groups on college campuses,” Stanfel said.

Tulane has its own set of acapella competitions and performances that happen year-round, and, just like in the movie series, each group has its own spirit and personality. Check out more of these events as the semester continues — they promise a lot of talent and a great time.