Students need more outdoor study spaces

In a city with 216 sunny days a year and 277 days per year above 70 degrees, it is quite perplexing how Tulane’s only outdoor study spaces include a few gatherings of tables and benches and others scattered across campus. There are very few outdoor seating locations associated with academics as most are set out near dining spaces and are primarily used for meals.

Not only can you boost your Vitamin D levels while studying under the beautiful Spanish moss across campus, but you can also try out a mindful therapy technique coined “ecotherapy.” Being in nature has proven to help alleviate symptoms of depression and boost overall mental health with increased self-esteem and mood.

With other colleges implementing outdoor hammock style study spaces, outdoor classrooms with semi-clear Plexiglas whiteboards and study gardens, it is clear that Tulane needs to catch up. Creating eco-friendly outdoor spaces would be a great new initiative for architecture students to work on in the upcoming years to help our campus grow to be innovative and to highlight the work of such a unique program to our school.

The ultimate dream would be to get tree houses in the oaks across campus and stuff them full of couches and fluffy pillows. In the meantime, more outdoor tables spread throughout campus would do just fine.