G-Eazy returns to Republic and musical roots

SC O'Connell, Contributing Reporter

Rapper G-Eazy returned to New Orleans with a show Friday at The Republic. Gerald “G-Eazy” Gillum has performed in countless cities in the last several months on tour, but this show was more than just another stop along the way.

“It’s like I’m coming full circle,” Gillum said a day before his show.

Though Gillum was born in California, he established himself as a serious musician during his four years at Loyola University in New Orleans.

Gillum said that during his sophomore year, The Republic’s Manager Nick Thomas was one of the first people to open the doors. Thomas gave him a chance to perform at Throwback Night, a back-to-school party. Seizing the opportunity, Gillum would go on to perform at The Republic almost every following semester.

But while Gillum loved the experience, he realized the crowd came mostly for the party and not for his music.

“I always talked about the idea of coming back and selling out a regular concert night,” Gillum said. “We sold out Friday’s show just an hour ago. It’s tight.”

Gillum released his third studio album, “These Things Happen,” in June. Packed with hip hop tracks showcasing his slick verses, the album hit No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart and number one on the Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums Chart. Gillum said his favorite song off the album is “Downtown Love,” a collaboration with current Loyola student John Michaels.

Gillum said he is already thinking about where to take his sound next.

“I’m just creating freely and seeing where it takes me,” Gillum said.

Gillum lauds music for its ability to bring people together.

“For me, it’s just a creative outlet,” Gillum said. “It’s a way to tell my story and connect with people. I love performing live because that’s when music comes to life, and there’s that interaction between me and my fans … it turns it into something more than just a song.”

Gillum said he was ecstatic to take back his old stage. He is very loyal to New Orleans and specifically The Republic.

“I was literally jumping up and down when they told me it was all booked,” Gillum said. “I’m extremely excited for tomorrow. I guess the sad part is that it’s only one night. It’ll be over like that. There’s no way to slow down time.”