‘Let’s Get Political — A Broadway Revue’ allows attendees to escape the election, seek peace through performance

The cast of the Musical Theatre Workshop performed “Let’s Get Political: A Broadway Revue” on Nov. 4 and 5 at Dixon Hall.  

Josh Axelrod, Associate Editor [email protected]

As election day loomed large, any conversation involving politics usually turned to exasperated sighs and pained expressions. That’s why “Let’s Get Political — A Broadway Revue” was a treat for the musical lover, as the show turns the subject on its head through a topical and gleefully entertaining night of cabaret, featuring talented Tulane students.

“Let’s Get Political,” written by Tulane graduate students Leslie Castay and Justin Lee Miller, was performed Nov. 4 and 5 at Dixon Hall by the eclectic cast of the Musical Theatre Workshop. The cabaret-style show covered a vast array of themes, ranging from corruption, to social justice, to war. Written for the Tulane workshop cast, this was its first live performance.

Featuring music from popular musicals such as “Avenue Q,” “Wicked,” “Ragtime” and many other favorites, “Let’s Get Political” loosely curates a picture of America’s changing political climate. The beauty of the cabaret is that almost every song is a showstopper from its respective musical, making for a high-energy playlist of classic show tunes, threaded together by a common theme. 

The show culminates with a raucous rendition of “What is This Feeling,” featuring sophomore Jordan Lawrence as Hillary Clinton and senior Dylan Hafer as Donald Trump. The dynamic performers are perfect complements, attempting to outdo each other’s ridiculousness and striking a harmonious note of absurdity. With floppy hairpieces to boot, it’s safe to say these two talented actors stole the show.

Other standouts include sophomore Anthony Harvey, sophomore Adam Burstain and sophomore Daniel Shevlin, demonstrating impressive tap-dancing skills and bolstering an excellent male ensemble. Senior Austin Adomitis, sophomore Tosca Maltzman and sophomore Shira Kaplan delivered equally powerful vocal performances amid a cast of truly fantastic singers.

Miller made an appearance halfway through the show, singing “Ol’ Man River,” from “Showboat”. The incredibly rich and full-bodied bass voice, evocative of Brian Stokes Mitchell, filled Dixon Hall, revealing Miller’s Broadway experience and classical training. With a sound that caresses and melts, the actor achieved the night’s most tender moment.

There’s something truly therapeutic about being able to watch content involving Clinton and Trump and laugh unabashedly, without feeling the surrounding cloud of despair or deep guttural pain that have encompassed the 2016 election. Lawrence and Hafer allowed the audience to escape a hellish election cycle and dive into the calming pool of musical theatre, a fantasy world where corruption and misogyny don’t reach the surface.

Beyond seemingly heavy themes and historical content, “Let’s Get Political” is purely a fun evening of theatre. The Musical Theatre Workshop managed another delightful production and continues to impress audiences with its dedicated casts of talented Tulane students.