We must unite

With the polls closed, the results in, and Donald Trump as the president-elect of the United States, Tulane finds itself in a state of reflection. The Hullabaloo acknowledges that throughout all circles on this campus, members of this community are hurting, including those who may feel overlooked.

The disillusioned fall across party lines, span a multitude of identities and are all grappling with the aftermath of the election. As a community, we need to recognize each other’s humanity and center the well-being of our campus as a priority.

Regardless of the results, the election reveals that the country is divided in a tangible way. Though unity may now seem like an even greater challenge, it is important for us not to become paralyzed by hopelessness in this time of political and social turbulence. 

The presidential election may be decided, but our duty of civic engagement is more crucial than ever.

The winner of the Louisiana senatorial race has still not been determined as neither of the general election candidates, Democrat Foster Campbell and Republican John Kennedy, has received a simple majority of the vote. The outcome’s effect on local politics and practices will reshape the path of New Orleans and its residents on a daily basis.

Organizing on-campus and in New Orleans is another way to continue to utilize this momentum for change and unity. Student-run political organizations, activist groups and multicultural groups all exist to provide students with an opportunity to unite, to feel heard and to believe that a meaningful impact on the Tulane community is a possibility.

The largest impact, however, is that which we can affect on a personal level: the active intent to be kind to one another regardless of social identity or political affiliation. We need to work towards a collective state of empathy, towards making Tulane’s campus a space of compassion.

Only by exemplifying respect and a willingness to listen can we breach the divide exacerbated by the political tension of this past election season. Solidarity and unity are our greatest tools in ensuring that Tulane feels like a Tulane to which we can all belong.

We need to continue the legacy of universities acting as beacons of progress and understanding in times of rampant political polarization. If one thing is certain in this uncertain time, it is our ability to determine the direction of our community’s future.