OPINION: Women’s golf team finishes in 10th place in final tournament of season

The women’s golf team poses for a photo during their fall photoshoot. The team wrapped up its fall tournament schedule in San Antonio, Texas at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational, and will return to begin their spring season in February.  . 

Josh Rothstein, Contributing Reporter [email protected]

Tulane women’s golf wrapped up its fall season this past weekend by attending the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational, hosted by the University of Texas at San Antonio. In its final tournament of the season, Tulane placed in the top 10 for the first time in four tries, finishing 10th at the Briggs Ranch Golf Course

The young team struggled in the first three tournaments of the fall season. Prior to the tournament this past weekend, Tulane finished eleventh of fifteen in the first tournament of the season at the Mason Rudolph Championship at Vanderbilt. At the Windy City Collegiate Championship in Illinois, Tulane finished last in a field of fourteen. In its third of four tournaments this season, the team finished eleventh of fourteen schools.

At the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational, the Green Wave finished inside the top 10 in all three rounds, culminating in a combined three-day score of 889, 25 over par.

Senior Belen Goicoechera led the team, shooting one under-par in the first two rounds before finishing tied for 20th with a three round score of two over par. In addition, redshirt freshman Elise Genoux and true freshman Haydn Gibson ended the fall season on a high, with both shooting one under-par in the final round.

In a generally disappointing season, there were certainly some bright spots from young players that could pave the way for success in future seasons.

Sophomore Laura Munoz excelled, especially in the Mason Rudolph Championship, where she recorded a score of one under-par in the third round, which propelled her to finish tied for fifteenth in the entire tournament. In addition, Munoz was one of four players at the Windy City Collegiate Championship to record an eagle, finishing a par 5 in only 3 strokes.

Adding to a promising young core is redshirt freshman Elise Genoux out of Gien, France. Along with Munoz, she also excelled at the Windy City Collegiate Championship. True freshmen Haydn Gibson from Pensacola, Fla. was featured in all four of this season’s tournaments.

Though she struggled, it is an impressive feat to be in the five players selected by head coach Lorne Don to compete in the tournament. Also competing in most tournaments were the Goicoechera sisters, senior Belen and sophomore Sofia. True freshmen Gabrielle Correia made her lone appearance in the Mason Rudolph Championship.

The Green Wave is back in action in February, when the team will travel to Orland, Fla. for the UCF Challenge.