Gulf Coast trains important to Louisiana travelers, students

Senior Staff Writer, Will Potts

This is an opinion article and does not necessarily reflect the views of The Tulane Hullabaloo.

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, known as Amtrak, plans to make a triumphant return to serving the Gulf Coast after a decade-long absence.  The passenger railroad service has not operated in the region since Hurricane Katrina hit and the return could not come quick enough. A new train system would be an invaluable resource for college students trying to get home and low-income travelers who cannot fly or drive.

While the Big Easy is known for a lot of things, efficient transportation is not one of them. On St. Charles Avenue, the streetcar moseys along at its own leisurely pace, reflective of the laidback nature of Southern Louisiana. It’s fine enough for getting from Uptown to the French Quarter, but outside of planes or personal cars, there are few ways to get out of the city.

On Febr. 18, an Amtrak train using CSX freight lines embarked on a two-day journey from Union Passenger Terminal in New Orleans towards Jacksonville, Florida. The purpose: to provide an examination of the existing rail lines across the Gulf Coast states. The train was outfitted with a special inspection car, featuring rear-facing seats and top-to-bottom windows to allow better sight lines for surveyors on board.

The company, whose trains daily cross the continental United States, used the trip to evaluate expected capital costs of improving the routes up to passenger rail standards.

Of the five route options currently in consideration, two have risen to the top since their proposal in December. The first would provide a long-distance train connecting Chicago to New Orleans, before cutting eastward to Orlando, Florida. At an annual operational cost of $9.49 million and expected to serve over 150,000 passengers, the project would benefit numerous people.

Chief among them are college students. The annual journey to and from school is not particularly rifee with options. You can fly or you can drive. The addition of an efficient rail system, however, tying Chicago to Orlando with the all-important New Orleans pitstop along the way will completely change the game.

Students living along the coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Florida would see trans-state travel finally made simple. After all, rail travel is cheaper than air and doesn’t test a family’s patience quite like road trips.

It’s about time that the Gulf Coast catches back up to the rest of the country. It may not be an easy endeavor, nor a cheap one, but it is necessary for the millions of residents waiting for better transportation alternatives.

In Mobile, Alabama, one of the many coastal cities counting down the days until Amtrak’s return, the local city council anticipates the increased stations cutting down traffic as well.

Communities along the inspection train’s route turned out large crowds, with locals cheering on as the expeditionary engine rolled through their hometown stations. The Gulf Coast is clearly ready for Amtrak’s return. For a region that has rebounded from the recession stronger than any other and now claims the affectionate nickname, “The Third Coast,” Amtrak’s decision is an inevitable and highly anticipated one.