Men who believe in feminism are feminists

Seth Armentrout, Contributing Writer

This is an opinion article and does not necessarily reflect the views of The Tulane Hullabaloo.

As a freshman looking to get involved, I anxiously attended the first Feminist Alliance of Students at Tulane meeting of the year. When I walked into the room, I was stunned to see the gender distribution. Out of no fewer than 50 students, I was one of three men present. I certainly did not expect an equal ratio, but this imbalance seemed almost absurd.

Fast-forward three months; I am giving my first tour as a Green Wave Ambassador. Having announced that I participate in FAST, I received a soft chuckle from two of the fathers in my tour group, who then gave each other a look and shook their heads.

I write this article because I choose not to believe that half of our society is comfortable ignoring or perpetuating the economic, political and social oppression of non-males. According to a Gallup poll, only 20 percent of men identify as feminist- I believe there are deep, underexposed reasons for the lack of male participation in gender equality.

The first obstacle, and one frighteningly common among young men, is the social fear of supporting feminism. The typical college man might find feminism somewhere between “Twilight” and extended hugs on the cool spectrum.

Insecurity roots this rejection; men need acceptance and understand that actively advocating for the rights of non-males supplies definite exclusion from certain groups.

The second argument is a much more political one. Historically, groups wielding power over others have not peacefully supported the rising of the suppressed group.

Speaking from my own experience, it is comfortable to be a white male. I have rarely had my authority questioned and my emotions and attitudes are almost always respected as legitimate. To put it simply: Men have power and do not want to give it up. This reinforces the need for feminism and clubs like FAST.

The third and final point I would like to make is that not all men are evil creatures that bask in delight at their gender privileges whilst busting sexist jokes. Many men do sympathize with the cause, but take their time and talent elsewhere. They believe that they have little to gain from supporting the rights of other genders.

So for any man that has made it this far in this opinion piece, pat yourself on the back. I challenge you to support the movement that over time has given our gender better relationships, better and more sex, more leisure time, more time to spend with our children, the erosion of outrageous media standards, greater vocational opportunity, expanded reproductive rights and greater judicial equality.

The fact that very few men on this campus and other communities participate in feminism is a clear sign that freedom, equality and happiness still often fall short of power, ego and inclusion.

Seth is a freshman at Newcomb-Tulane College. He can be reached at [email protected].