Weekend Wrap-Up: Houston bests Wave in first series

Sophomore infielder Hunter Hope hits the ball in the Wave’s 3-0 win against Gonzaga Sunday. Hope drove in a run on a sacrifice fly in the Wave’s loss against Southern Miss Wednesday night. 

David Watson, Contributing Reporter

This weekend Tulane’s baseball went up against American Athletic Conference foe Houston in a series of very close games. Houston won the series, defeating Tulane both on Friday and Saturday, with a score 4-3 and 6-1 respectively. Sunday, Tulane beat Houston 3-1, bringing this three game series to a close.

Friday started off the three game series and the Wave lost a heartbreaker in the final inning. In the first few innings each team kept the other from scoring. At the bottom of the fourth Houston got to the upper hand and scored its first run and both squads fired back and fourth for the next few innings. It would have gone into extras, but Houston scored its fourth and final run during the bottom of the ninth inning to win the game. 

Saturday started off slow, but by the second inning, Houston scored two runs. Houston continued to score, while Tulane’s bats could score only one run throughout the contest. Tulane switched out its pitcher a total of four times and gave up a combined 11 hits in the 6-1 loss.

The Wave played on a whole new level Sunday. Right off the bat, in the first inning, Tulane scored two runs when sophomore infielder Hunter Hope batted in senior outfielder John Gandolfo and sophomore outfielder Lex Kaplan. Both Tulane and Houston then scored in the 7th inning finishing the game off at 3-1. Redshirt junior Alex Massey pitched a two-hitter complete game in the victory. 

Tulane next faces Southern Mississippi at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Turchin Stadium.