RECAP: Ten Points on Tulane vs. Cincinnati

Junior safety Darion Monroe intercepts a pass in the 38-14 loss to Cincinnati Oct. 31. Monroe finished with 6 total tackles and 1 interception.

Matt Coleman, Staff Reporter

Final Score: 38-14 Cincinnati

(Original prediction: 30-20 Cincinnati)

1. Tulane freshman Parry Nickerson recorded another interception against Cincinnati, his No. 4 of the year. Nickerson is tied for No. 12 in the FBS in interceptions and has the most of any freshmen in the nation.
  2. The Wave committed 4 penalties against the Bearcats, the lowest total all season. The team is now No. 8 in the country in penalties per game.
  3. Despite the loss, Tulane forced 3 turnovers and surrendered 1. The only game this season when the Wave allowed more turnovers than they forced was in a blowout loss at Duke on Sept. 20.
  4. Against Cincinnati, Tulane fell behind 24-0 at halftime and converted 1-of-8 third down attempts in the first half. Only 15 teams in the country convert on third downs less often than the Wave.
  5. Four of the team’s six losses this year have been deficits of 17 or more points.
  6. No Wave player, with the exception of quarterback Tanner Lee, has accounted for more than 4 touchdowns. Four players, however, have found the end zone at least 3 times this year.
  7. Tulane is tied No. 116 out of 125 qualifying teams in the country for average points scored and No. 102 in offense yards per game.
  8. The Green Wave defense, meanwhile, ranks No. 56 in average yards allowed and No. 84 in points given up per contest.
  9. The defense has also forced 21 turnovers, which ranks No. 9 in the nation. The top eight teams in the category have a combined record of 46-22 while the Wave is 2-6.

10. Just as the defense has forced 12 total interceptions, Tulane quarterbacks have thrown for a combined 12 interceptions, which ranks in the bottom 15 nationally.