Five former Green Wave athletes honored into Tulane Hall of Fame

Athletic Director Rick Dickson poses with Micah Owens, Matt Forte’s father, Brian Bugusevic, Kim Lewis, Gloria Asumna as they accept their Hall of Fame honors. 

Matt Coleman, Staff Reporter

Five former Tulane athletes were inducted into the 2014 Tulane Athletics Hall of Fame on Thursday at Yulman Stadium. The inductees included Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte, professional baseball players Micah Owings and Brian Bogusevic, track & field runner Gloria Asumnu and former basketball player Kim Lewis.

Forte was drafted by the Bears in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft and has since been selected to the Pro Bowl twice. Due to football obligations, Forte could not be in attendance for the ceremony.

Both Owings and Bogusevic were selected in the 2005 MLB Draft. Owings has had stints with four major league teams. Bogusevic played for the Houston Astros and Chicago Cubs before joining the Philadelphia Phillies earlier this month. Each of the two former teammates said making the College World Series in 2005, along with their team’s long-lasting relationships, as defining memories at Tulane.

“Tulane for me was really the perfect place,” Bogusevic said. “It was everything I ever wanted, from great academics to a great baseball program. The city of New Orleans is a place where I have never really been to until I came here but I almost immediately fell in love with it.”

Asumnu has competed in races across the globe, including an appearance in the 2012 Olympic Games where she represented Nigeria. She said she was not expecting Athletic Director Rick Dickson’s call informing her about her induction.

“I initially laughed on the phone because I couldn’t believe it, but I was really humbled and so grateful,” Asumnu said.

Since playing for the men’s basketball team, Lewis has coached at several schools, including his alma mater, and now serves as an assistant coach for the University of Richmond. Lewis is currently No. 11 on Tulane’s all-time scoring list and said he turned down Kansas, Connecticut and Georgetown, among others, so that he could join the Green Wave. He said finding out he was being inducted was probably the best feeling he ever had.

“I came to Tulane as a freshman very shy and as a quiet guy,” Lewis said. “But Tulane helped me to get outside myself and get acclimated to the world itself. I met so many professionals here.”

The newly inducted members were also honored after the third quarter of Saturday’s football game against Memphis.