RECAP Ten Points: Tulane vs. Houston

Freshman receiver Leondre James flexes after he scored a touchdown in the 31-24 win against Houston Saturday. James caught four passes for 41 yards and chalked up his first touchdown of the season. 

Matt Coleman, Staff Reporter

Final Score: 31-24 Tulane

(Original Prediction): 17-10 Houston

1. Within the game’s first six minutes, Houston quarterback Greg Ward Jr. threw two interceptions. Ward had thrown only one interception during the team’s three-game win streak heading into the match, but threw a total of 3 against Tulane.
  2. Green Wave freshman Parry Nickerson caught two of Ward’s three interceptions, which included a pick on the last play of the game to seal the win. As a result, Nickerson moved from No. 12 to No. 3 in the FBS in interceptions with 6.
  3. After trailing 17-14 at halftime, the Wave outscored Houston 17-7 in the second half. The Cougars’ only score came with a minute left in regulation. Coming into the game, opponents outscored Houston 118-46 in the second half.
  4. Tulane had not scored more than 14 points in a game since its win over Southeastern Louisiana on Sept. 13. The team scored 31 points against the No. 5 ranked defense in the nation, the second most points allowed by Houston in a game this year.
  5. Wave freshman running back Dontrell Hilliard rushed for 85 yards, scored twice and had 107 receiving yards on the day. The last time a Tulane player had over 100 receiving yards was in the season-opening loss to Tulsa, when wide receiver Justyn Shackleford had 113 yards.
  6. Houston’s two-headed running attack, led by running backs Kenneth Farrow and Ryan Jackson, combined for 40 total rush yards. The team’s rushing leader was its quarterback, Ward, who picked up 59 yards on the ground.
  7. The Green Wave converted over half of its third down tries for the first time all season, going 10 of 16.
  8. Out of the eight players to catch a pass for the Wave, five are freshmen, as is Hilliard and starting quarterback Tanner Lee. Meanwhile, Houston had only 1 freshman that touched the ball on offense throughout the game. All Green Wave freshmen scored the 31 points.  
  9. Tulane’s road win was the first under coach Curtis Johnson outside of Louisiana. The last time the team won out of state was in 2011 against Alabama-Birmingham.

10. Saturday’s game marks the third straight time Tulane has followed two losses with a win. The Wave, however, have not yet won twice in a row.

*Bonus Point* 

11. After the win, Tulane red zone defense now ranks No. 2 in the nation, and trails AP No. 1 Mississippi State.