RECAP: Ten Takeaways from Tulane vs. Connecticut

Matt Coleman, Staff Reporter

Final Score: 12-3 Tulane

1. Senior quarterback Nick Montana, who began the season No. 3 on the Tulane depth chart, completed his first 7 passes, one of which resulted in a 7-yard touchdown to freshman tight end Charles Jones on the Wave’s first drive of the game.
  2. Montana hit seven different receivers in his first eight completions. He finished the game completing 19/26 passes for 135 yards and a touchdown.
  3. Fourteen of Montana’s 19 completions went for less than 10 yards. Short, high-percentage throws led to Tulane’s second straight game without a turnover.
  4. Green Wave junior safety Darion Monroe recovered 2 fumbles in the game. Tulane, however, failed to score on each of its 3 forced turnovers.
  5. UConn did not commit a single penalty in the first half, while Tulane’s 5 penalties cost the team 52 yards. UConn, however, trailed 7-3 at halftime.
  6. The scoreless span between Jones’ touchdown catch and the next score, a safety for Tulane, lasted 29 minutes, 55 seconds, or just under half the length of the game.
  7. Coming into the game, freshman running back Sherman Badie ranked seventh nationally with 7.6 yards per carry. Badie and sophomore running back Lazedrick Thompson paced the Green Wave running game with 77 and 73 yards, respectively.
  8. Thompson’s 24-yard scamper in the fourth quarter was the longest play from scrimmage by either team.
  9. UConn accumulated 215 total yards of offense, which is the least allowed by the Tulane defense all year. Opponents have averaged 424 yards per game against the Wave.

10. The Huskies rank last in the Football Bowl Subdivision in red zone offense. UConn missed a field goal on its only red zone opportunity of the game, which came on the team’s last possession.