Scariest places for people of color in NOLA

It’s that time of year — the leaves are falling, it’s too cold to get away with wearing just a swimsuit to the darty and Netflix has finally updated its selection of scary movies. So, in anticipation of Halloween, we curated a list of the spookiest places to visit in the area — free of charge! As broke college students, it’s not easy to spend upwards of $20 on a ghost tour that might not even scare you. But we guarantee you — these will.

Hugo Fajardo | Senior Staff Artist

The Boot Bar and Grill

You don’t know how many times you’ll hear white people scream the N-word on any given night. And when the DJ plays “Freaky Friday” feat. Chris Brown by Lil Dicky? Prepare for your soul to leave your body in a way that no “haunted New Orleans” tour will ever succeed to cause.

The Ninth Ward

Visit this neighborhood if you want to be reminded of how inadequate the federal response is to low-income, minority-populated neighborhoods affected by national disasters.

The Civil War Museum (formerly known as the Confederate Museum)

Despite being centered on the famed Civil War, the museum, boasting plenty of confederate artifacts, makes no mention of slavery. It also contains a large collection of Jefferson Davis memorabilia, the one and only President of the Confederate States. We’re not saying he haunts the place, but we’re also not not saying he haunts it.

A diversity and inclusion workshop

When everyone else is white.

The Kappa Alpha house

The Kappa Alpha Order’s spiritual founder is Robert E. Lee, a commander of the Confederate Army.

More recently, in anticipation of their “Old South” formal, Kappa Alpha constructed a wall of sandbags in front of their off-campus house tagged “Make America Great Again” and “Trump” – ironically, they claimed.

The majority of your classes

You’re lucky if there’s more than 15 people of color in your 200 person lecture.

Tulane University as whole

Its establishment was funded by profiters of slaveryvarious buildings on campus, such as Gibson Hall, are named after plantation owners and avid supporters of segregation, and the university is built on a former plantation. Spooky!

The previous version of this article included a sentence linking Kappa Alpha Order to an organization called Kuklos Alphedon, as well as the Ku Klux Klan. Kappa Alpha Order has no affiliation to these two organizations and the line has since been corrected. The Hullabaloo regrets this error.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Scariest places for people of color in NOLA”

1. Student on October 25th, 2018 3:18 pm

I have many friends who are KA’s at tulane. None of them are racist in any way, and some of them are people of color themselves. Posting stuff like this wrong. You are taking a group of people, putting them into a box, then stigmafying with no evidence of any wrong doing.

2. Heidi davidson on October 25th, 2018 5:16 pm

Wow! Talk about perpetuating stereotypes and racist propghanda. The kids today really have friends that they like because they, well, just like them. They don’t care what color their skin is as long as they laugh at the same content or met the first week of school at an event. Really sad to apply such broad strokes to your, oh, so biased story! But, hey I guess you just needed an angle for your “journalism” story. With the country divided and the one-sided and biased departments in higher education, why not exploit such times to make your point? I found it disappointingly unfounded, not well researched and divisive.

3. lydia bell on October 27th, 2018 2:04 pm

lmao can the white folks in y’all’s comments maybe like, relax for 5 seconds and listen to people of color about where they feel unsafe at and around this hellish pwi

4. Orion on October 27th, 2018 2:33 pm

Why are people so quick to attack an article if it has anything less than great to say about white people? ‘Wow! Talk about refusing to consider why a person of color might find these things alienating, uncomfortable and alarming”
    Foh and don’t come back until you’ve thought about life in someone else’s skin perhaps.

5. Nate on October 29th, 2018 3:57 am

If you have a short 5 minutes to read this article please do.
    As a member of this university I am absolutely appalled by the content that the author produced.
    Yes, you’re right. Tulane university is a majority white population. However, the fact that one can say that the school, an ideal school in today’s world of social justice warriors, safe spaces, and openness to all things different, is founded on the basis of racism is absolutely absurd. Moreover, she goes on to note many places throughout the city, places such as the confederate war museum, as “scary.” A museum that is dedicated to one of the darkest times in our nation’s history in an effort to teach future generations of what not to do if such a situation ever presented itself again is far from a “scary” place. If even the sight of civil war artifacts makes you afraid then you need to be wrapped in bubble wrap and not ever leave your dorm because the the city itself was established before the civil war, lived through it, and continues today. History is all around you. Grow up and get over it. However, according to her, even the campus of Tualne is established on the basis of racism. The buildings named after “former plantion owners and segregationists,” which clearly relates to how the campus today is teeming with racism, a campus, like I said, that is filled with SJWs. The fact that she calls out a fraternity, a fraternity that I have many friends in, and claims that it is a breeding ground for racism is absolutely appalling and downright disrespectful to the members of that fraternity. The fact that she calls a neighborhood, one, that I might add, she didn’t grow up in, as a scary place has no basis of fact. The fact that you say you walk around your campus as well as your city in fear of all things racism, everything you see reminds you of racism, every social area of the campus reminds you of racism shows that maybe New Orleans isn’t the right place for you. However, before you fear the racist onslaught that you apparently face every single day maybe you should be worried about being robbed on the way home, or the next thunderstorm flooding your street and your car, or the corruption that has plagued our local government for years. But as a member of the tulane community and a lifetime resident of New Orleans, clearly you not only have the wrong attitude about the student body and the faculty that you share the campus with but also have the wrong perspective about what type of city New Orleans. A city, which after being devastated by one of the worst natural disasters in US history, was rebuilt on the foundation of community, no matter what race or ethnicity you were. However, the author of the article could never comprehend something of that gravity as I couldn’t expect anyone else who wasn’t from the Katrina era could. Yet, I can state with full confidence that the city would not be where it is today if those so called racist barriers and fears were an issue.

6. Alexa on November 3rd, 2018 1:12 am

The amount of comments on this post from closet racists and their apologists is AMAZING!
    As a student of color, I can confirm everything in this article and that I have no respect for anyone in KA and don’t bother with The Boot because it’s a white-washed club scene that’s littered with a majority of the campus’ chronic drinkers and least favorables.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.