Undercurrents: 5 things TU know this week

Lauren Flowers, Intersections Editor

Emma Vaughters | Layout Editor

Tulane Mental Health Panel

Those interested in learning about mental health and making connections to the Tulane student-athlete community are welcome to observe a panel connecting these topics in the coming weeks. Presented by the Tulane Student Athlete Advisory Committee, the panel will feature speakers from across the mental health professional field from on and off campus. The event will be held 7:30 p.m. on March 25 in the Glazer Family Club. Email knesslan@tulane.edu for more details.

The Democratic Candidates Keep on Coming

News broke this week that former Vice President Joe Biden is strongly considering a run for presidential office in 2020, and he is not the only one. Along with Biden, many other possible nominees have serious name recognition – including Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker … the list goes on. The Democratic Party currently has 12 official candidates running for the Democratic presidential nomination in the upcoming election cycle, and the list is expected to grow in the coming months.

Jazbaa Goes to CLT Pulse

After a successful fundraising campaign, Tulane’s all-women Bollywood dance team will be competing at CLT Pulse this weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina. Jazbaa is the only university-affiliated Bollywood dance team in the entire state of Louisiana. If you cannot make it out to Charlotte on short notice, the team will be hosting an open practice March 14 for the public.

Solange Drops New Album

Solange’s newest album, “When I Get Home,” dropped last week, and reviewers are still trying to formulate their opinions on it. As always, Solange uses her musical platform to celebrate blackness. Her Houston pride is a focal point, but the album marks a departure from mainstream norms, containing many experimental, jazzy numbers and a fair amount of interludes. Polarizing as it may be, “When I Get Home” is definitely worth a listen.

Tulane’s International Food and Music Fest

March 23 marks the date of Tulane’s annual celebration of internationalism. Located in Pocket Park, the Fest is a beautiful sharing of culturally diverse foods, performances, languages and more between members of both Tulane and the surrounding New Orleans community. Admission is free for Tulane students, and non-Tulane guests looking to purchase tickets can do so on EventBrite.