‘Hers, Theirs, Ours’ offers intersectional alternative to Vagina Monologues

Lauren Flowers, Intersections Editor

“Hers, Theirs, Ours” is an original, Tulane community-created production fighting gender-based violence against women-identifying and non-binary individuals. A relatively new production, “Hers, Theirs, Ours” exists to unite these individuals across Tulane’s campus and provide a safe space for their voices to be heard.

“A lot of people may talk about it as being ‘The Vagina Monologues,’ but intersectional,” Hers, Theirs, Ours cast member Jewell Prim said.

Birthed in 2016, “Hers, Theirs, Ours” was actually created as a replacement to “The Vagina Monologues” with the mission to be inclusive of every woman’s stories – not just cisgender women’s. First performed in 1994, “The Vagina Monologues,” is an off-Broadway play in which women tell stories centered around their vaginas. Revolutionary for its time, the play challenged the cultural taboo of cisgender women speaking openly on their sexuality, and for this reason it holds much cultural relevance in feminist circles.

In recent years, however, the show has been critiqued as a production catering to mostly white, upper-class, cisgender women, excluding the many individuals that fall outside these demographics. Often, it is these individuals who most need their voices to be heard. For this reason, “Hers, Theirs, Ours” was created to allow these often-silenced individuals a place to speak openly, find encouragement and heal.

In addition to expanding beyond cis-female voices, the performance aims to better represent the perspectives of people of color and queer folks.

“Women-identifying students on campus and participants have the ability to make their own pieces, like performance pieces, or perform pieces that already have been written” Prim said. “… I guess it’s more like spoken word, conversations, and art profiles about the experience of being a woman and especially a woman of color or a woman from a marginalized group.”

Performers in “Hers, Theirs, Ours” are not required to have any extensive acting training. Instead, every person with a story is welcome.

According to Prim, the production also serves as an outlet for women to meet one another on campus that are interested in the themes that are being discussed.

“I really like it because I get to meet strong, powerful, inspiring women of color, queer women, queer women of color that are doing amazing things on this campus,” Prim said.

“Hers, Theirs, Ours” premieres this weekend in the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life. Those interested in seeing the show can purchase tickets here.