Trump’s 100-day plan generates opposition, fear

Robin Boch, Associate Views Editor

This is an opinion article and does not necessarily reflect the views of The Tulane Hullabaloo.

President-Elect Donald Trump has high hopes for what he will accomplish upon entering the White House. According to his 100-day plan, “Donald Trump’s Contract With The American Voter,” he aims to eliminate corruption in Washington, aid and protect American workers and reinstate rule of law. Additionally, he plans to abolish Obamacare, build a wall on the United States-Mexico border, better the nation’s infrastructure and work on numerous other projects.

Throughout several studies conducted since 1968, tracking campaigns from 1912 to 1999, presidents keep an average of 67 percent of campaign promises. It is impossible, however, for a president to execute everything he has planned during his presidency. Trump will likely achieve some of his goals with the support of Congress but opposition from the American people.

Due to the conservative majorities of both the House of Representatives and the Senate, the amount of gridlock and opposition to anything Trump tries to enact will be greatly reduced. As Trump failed to win the popular vote, it is highly unlikely that he will ever have the support of a solid majority of the general public.

Within a day of Trump winning the necessary 270 electoral votes, protesters in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Diego and numerous other large cities across the country made national news for demonstrations of anger and distress regarding the election results. Protests occurred in New Orleans as well, with a few Tulane students in attendance. 

Despite these facts, it is true that Trump has been fairly elected as president. Many of his supporters voted in this way because of his commitment to growing the economy and supporting American workers. Though there may not be an actual wall on the United States-Mexico border, it is likely that Trump will successfully increase border security and restrictions on immigration.

Trump is expected to reduce the national debt by cutting government programs. Whether or not Trump will successfully limit the United State’s involvement in North American Free Trade Agreement and North Atlantic Treaty Organization currently remains unclear.

Trump’s presidency is likely to make a real impact on improving infrastructure, and providing employment opportunities through these projects. Both Democrats and Republicans have been concerned with infrastructure lately, so it is expected that the Trump administration will successfully achieve its stated goal to “transform America’s crumbling infrastructure into a golden opportunity for accelerated economic growth and more rapid productivity gains.”

Much of what Americans are protesting is in regard to what Trump has pledged to do regarding social issues. Though Trump is pro-life, this week Obama proposed an amendment to the Title X Family Planning Program preventing the defunding of health providers for any reason other than ineffectiveness. If this rule passes, Trump will be unable to defund Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers.

Many people are concerned, however, that he will try to overturn decisions from Supreme Court cases such as Roe v. Wade and Obergefell v. Hodges, reversing social progress for LGBTQ+ people and people who seek abortions.

Trump’s ideas on immigration, assigned female at birth health, LGBTQ+ rights and the rights of people of color have already generated opposition and fear. More protests are expected to continue.

While exactly what Trump will be able to accomplish as president is still unknown, he has already generated fear among women, people of color, transgender people, immigrants and muslims. He has numerous plans for actions that the government should take domestically and internationally, and while Congress may aid him in working on these projects, in many cases, a number American people will challenge him every step of the way.

Robin is a freshman at Newcomb-Tulane College. She can be reached at [email protected]