EXPLORE Summer Journalism Experience: Sign up now!

The Tulane Hullabaloo’s Summer Journalism Experience immerses freshmen writers in a professional newsroom to create the first issue of the new school year. 

With the help of a mentor from The Hullabaloo’s editorial staff, freshmen writers learn the ins and outs of writing, photographing, designing, and digitally promoting an independently run student newspaper.

SJE is an EXPLORE program run by The Hullabaloo’s staff that allows students to arrive on campus a week early and experience all that Tulane, New Orleans and The Hullabaloo have to offer. EXPLORE programs allow students to acclimate early to the Tulane environment and explore the city before classes begin. The Hullabaloo staff invites both local and national journalism professionals to speak on covering Tulane and New Orleans both traditionally and transitioning into digital media. 

Outside of the newsroom, this program gives incoming freshman a chance to explore the city itself. Freshmen writers get to take on the Hullabaloo staff in a laser tag battle, tour the French Quarter and learn about the cities time-honored superstitions, see hungry alligators up close and get a feel for the campus. 

Students selected to participate in the program will be notified by June 30 and must confirm their acceptance no later than July 5. 

If you have any questions, please contact The Tulane Hullabaloo adviser Tel Francois Bailliet at 504-314-2185 or [email protected].

Apply now! 

MORE PROGRAM DETAILS

• Fee: $475
  • Arrival and Program Start Date: Saturday, August 20, 2016
  • Program End Date: Thursday night, August 25, 2016
  • Maximum capacity: 16-20