Anh Nguyen | Associate Artist

Arcade’s Uptown bar crawl: A Helluva Hullaba-Brew

By the time you turn 21 in New Orleans, you’re probably a little over the usual Boot Bar & Grill scene. While The Boot will always hold a special place in our hearts, and while we will never truly abandon Friday happy hour, Arcade decided to help spice up your Friday night.

As a disclaimer to our readers: we aren’t really suggesting you hit ALL of these bars in one night, but, hey, we’re all adults here. If you do decide to do them all — which we’re not saying you should — but if you do, be sure to tell us about it because you’re definitely going to have some great stories.

The Other Bar

You probably never noticed The Other Bar directly across from Dat Dog on Freret Street, but it’s time you did! Cocktails are top notch without breaking the bank (the Moscow Mule is recommended). This bar has everything: PacMan, drunk Jenga, UNO, Skee-Ball, a piano and more! Check out the bathroom for some fun phrases and quirky advice graffitied on the walls. They provide the pens, so you can leave your mark too!

Tchoup Yard

The sister bar to F&M Patio Bar, Tchoup Yard has a more laid-back vibe. Sprawl out with a big group at the many picnic tables and patio chairs, or play a game of corn hole with some new pals. Known for goblets of beer and killer margaritas (really, you only need one), the bar is mostly outside, so definitely check the weather before you head there. The bar did, however, recently open an indoor area, so fear not if it begins to rain or gets too hot! If you get hit with the drunchies, order a crunch wrap supreme or totchos from the kitchen, or grab some food from the occasional food truck parked outside.

Miss Mae’s

Miss Mae’s is your typical dive bar. You’ll find mostly locals cozied up to the bar here. It’s dimly lit, and the booths are carved with initials and phrases from drunkards past. It has air hockey and foosball to keep you entertained for hours. Drinks are cheap but watch out — it’s cash only!

The Bulldog

Looking for an alternative to Wednesday happy? You’ve found it at The Bulldog. This dog-friendly pub has more than 45 beers on tap, and when you order a pint on Wednesday, you get to keep the signature Bulldog glass, which is great for stocking college kitchens! You may have to crawl over people and get creative with seating to find a place on the patio, but the vibes are good, and there are usually good pups to pet.

Tipitina’s

Of the many music venues in New Orleans, Tipitina’s is among the most well-known. You can catch some touring acts rolling through New Orleans, and it’s also a great place to hear local music. Tickets usually range from $10-25, but the experience is worth it if you love live music. The venue is two floors, so stick to downstairs near the stage if you prefer to dance around, and head upstairs to the balcony if you prefer to hang out and chat with friends. And if you’re here in the summer, Friday is “Free Friday” with no cover, which makes the higher drink prices easier on your bank account.

T.J. Quills 

Just a 15-minute walk from campus, T.J. Quills offers a more intimate space that draws people in with various daily drink specials. Most nights, those 18 and older will find Quills has a more laid-back setting. Its busiest night is Thursday when it has its “Penny Pitchers” special, which attracts students hoping to trade in loose pocket change for more beer than is probably necessary.

Bruno’s 

Bruno’s is a great option for anyone 18 and older who wants a night out with a bar/restaurant atmosphere. The venue keeps things interesting with varying daily drink specials, including “Wine Wednesdays,” and also offers delicious bar food. In addition, undergraduates get half-priced food on Wednesdays when they show a student ID.

Phillip’s Bar and Restaurant

If you’re 21 or older and looking for a bar that appears a step up from regular college bars but also has the same college bar prices and specials, going to Phillip’s is a good move. It offers a classy ambiance and friendly bartenders that make you want to be a regular. One of its best offers is “Let’s TACO bout it” on Thursdays, when a $6 cover will get you unlimited tacos, and Mexican beers are all half off.

Snake and Jake’s  

This option is a neat little dive bar with pretty inexpensive booze. It’s known to be a spot where people go to wind down after a long night of partying but don’t want to stop drinking. Calmer than most bars around Tulane, Snake and Jake’s is a great refuge for those 21 and older looking to avoid the hectic college nightlife while still staying in Uptown. Not to mention, there are Christmas lights on the walls all year round.