TEMS scheduled to return to campus after extended hiatus

Tulane Campus Health announced that Tulane Emergency Medical Services will return to campus starting Thursday after being out of operation since fall 2015.

The service will operate from 7 p.m.-7 a.m. on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and will respond to medical emergencies that occur on or near campus.

In an email to students, Assistant Vice President for Campus Health Scott Tims said that TEMS has undergone a series of trainings and processes since its removal from campus, including increased skills practice and oversight by licensed paramedics.

One notable change made to the service is the creation of a permanent TEMS Coordinator position. This position, held by Heather Scianneaux, will provide hands-on EMS training for new TEMS members as well as remedial and refresher training for current members. Scianneaux will also manage the TEMS schedule and oversee day-to-day operations.

Emergency medical services on campus will continue to be supplemented by New Orleans EMS depending on the time and type of the emergency situation.

“While it was not always the case, due to Tulane EMS being a Basic Emergency Service, it is necessary to activate NOEMS for certain cases,” Tims said. “That had started prior to the closure and will be continued as the service returns.”

Changes have also been implemented in the recruitment processes for TEMS, which had been contested prior to the closure of the service in 2015.

“One important change is the active recruitment of already trained EMTs on campus,” Tims said. “We have a number of students who come with experience, and there had been a history of not taking those students into the organization, that has changed.”

Other changes to TEMS include the requirement of driver training courses, the inclusion of Loyola University New Orleans in the service area and the reduction of the vehicle fleet from five vehicles to two.

Students in need of medical assistance in emergency situations are encouraged to continue to contact the Tulane University Police Department at 504-865-5911, and TUPD will dispatch the appropriate service.