Par for the course: Men’s basketball falls 91-62 against Houston

Josh Christian I Photo Editor

Sophomore guard Melvin Frazier squares off against redshirt senior Houston guard Damyean Dotson during the Wave’s Feb. 8 matchup against the Cougars. Tulane would suffer it’s eighth loss in a row as Houston went on to win 91-62.

Despite the hopes of breaking a seven-game losing streak, Tulane men’s basketball (4-20, 1-11 American Athletic Conference) suffered a crushing 91-62 loss to the Houston Cougars (17-7, 8-4 AAC) in a conference matchup Wednesday night at the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse.

Houston’s huge lead was a tale of turnovers, as the Green Wave gave up 21 turnovers throughout the course of the game. The Cougars converted those turnovers into 27 total points.

Five Tulane players managed to put up double-digit points despite the ultimate loss. Redshirt junior guard Cameron Reynolds had a team-leading 13 points for his 11th straight double-digit scoring game. Freshman guard Ray Ona Embo and sophomore guard Melvin Frazier both had 12 points, and redshirt senior guard Malik Morgan and sophomore guard Kain Harris had 10 points each.

Tulane started the game off strong, at one point holding a six-point lead over the Cougars but quickly fell apart.

After Tulane held a 13-7 lead with 13:33 in the first half, Houston went on an 8-0 tear and never looked back. The Cougars had a 17-4 run to finish the last 7:37 of the first half and went into the locker room with a 38-23 lead.

Beginning in the second half, Houston outscored Tulane 53-39 and at one point had a 37-point lead.

Houston outscored the Green Wave 27-9 off of turnovers, and shot 54 percent from three and 52 percent from the field. Tulane kept it close in the rebound battle, totaling 32, while the Cougars took 36 off the glass.

The Green Wave men’s basketball team will have a full week off before heading to Dallas for another conference game against SMU on Wednesday, Feb. 15, where they will try to snap an eight-game losing streak and improve to 5-20 on the season.