Case of mumps confirmed on Loyola’s campus

A case of the mumps was confirmed Friday on Loyola University New Orleans’ campus, according to The Maroon.

Mumps is a contagious disease that typically starts with symptoms including fever, muscle aches, fatigue and loss of appetite. The disease is most commonly identified by puffy cheeks and a swollen jaw, caused by swollen salivary glands.

Symptoms are usually mild, and many people who have mumps are not aware of it. Those with mumps tend to recover within a few weeks, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Mumps can spread through the saliva or mucus of an infected person, and those with the disease can infect others by coughing or sneezing, sharing cups and utensils and touching shared surfaces with unwashed hands.

Because mumps is preventable with the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, it is uncommon in the United States with only 229 cases being reported in 2012. Outbreaks, however, do continue to occur in certain regions. Students are required to have the MMR immunization before registering for classes at both Loyola and Tulane.

There is no current treatment or cure for mumps, and rare but possible complications include deafness and inflammation of the ovaries or testicles.

Those with symptoms or concerns are encouraged to schedule an appointment at the Student Health Center.