T-Pain comes to campus to ‘bayou’ a ‘drank’

Josh Christian | Photography Editor

Rapper T-Pain performed hits like “Booty Wurk (One Cheek at a Time)” and “Bartender” at his show April 6 in Avron B. Fogelman Arena at Devlin Fieldhouse.

Ten years after the release of his chart-topping single, “Buy U a Drank,” T-Pain made an appearance in New Orleans. Tulane University Campus Programming was hard-pressed to match its fall 2016 concert pick, Kehlani and opener Daya, but the organization did not fail to bring in a big name for this year’s spring concert.

After an underwhelming opening performance by DJ argonaut&wasp, T-Pain took the stage at 9:50 p.m. on April 6 at Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse to a packed crowd.

Despite T-Pain’s commercial success, some students were skeptical of his ability to put on a good performance. As T-Pain came strutting out onto the stage amid blue and green spotlights, however, most students forgot their concerns.

T-Pain started strong, hyping up the crowd with hip dance moves and a string of some of his greatest hits. He owned the stage, strutting from one side to the other in shades, a blue and black t-shirt, black pants, a silver chain and a purple headband. His enthusiasm was contagious. The crowd waved its hands to the beat and people danced with the music.

Among other songs, T-Pain sang “Buy U A Drank,” “Bartender” and “Booty Wurk,” as well as remixes of Unk’s “2 Step” and Wiz Khalifa’s “Black and Yellow.”

T-Pain showed off the wide range of his music, which is a mix of pop-rap, hip-hop and contemporary rhythm and blues. Though he is famous for his innovative use of Auto-Tune, anyone who attends a live performance knows he has a good voice behind the alterations. As the name of his first album, “Rappa Ternt Sanga,” suggests, the rapper from Tallahassee, Florida decided to shift from rapping to singing midway through his career. Nevertheless, his rapping background continues to enrich his music.

Throughout his career, T-Pain has collaborated with many other artists, from rappers like Kanye West and Chance the Rapper to the comedy trio The Lonely Island. He has released four studio albums, his most recent being “Revolver,” which was released in December 2011.

T-Pain has shown no signs of slowing down. In 2016, he released two new singles: “Dan Bilzerian,” featuring Lil Yachty, and “Look at Me.”

T-Pain’s wide range of experience in the music world was evident at the concert, but he did not limit the songs he sang to music he produced. Some of the crowd’s enthusiasm faded as T-Pain began to turn to songs from other artists, but his energy and charisma kept the show together. Overall, the show was well worth the $5 student admission ticket.