Tulane dominates Tulsa as Hurricane Nate approaches


Shea Dobson | Senior Staff Photographer

Redshirt senior defensive end Ade Aruna dives for a tackle against Tulsa Saturday in Yulman Stadium.

A hurricane came to Yulman Saturday morning, accompanied by a pretty nasty storm. Tulane football was deterred by neither. Under a cloudy sky, in front of a record-low crowd at Benson Field in Yulman Stadium, the Green Wave annihilated Tulsa, 62-28.

Tulane started off fast with junior quarterback Jonathan Banks carrying the ball for a 50 yard run on the first play of the game. Senior running back Dontrell Hilliard punched it in two plays later to give Tulane a quick 7-0 lead. Less than four minutes later, Tulane scored on another drive, with six plays capped by another Hilliard run. The Green Wave was solidly on top with 8:57 to go in the first.

The defense did not let up on the gas pedal, as freshman safety Chase Kuerschen recorded his first career interception to put the offense back on the field. On the first play of the following drive, Banks threw a 62-yard bomb to redshirt junior receiver Terren Encalade, bringing Tulane to 21-0. Tulsa scored on the following drive to make it 21-7 going to the end of the first quarter.

Tulane scored on the first play of the second quarter, having already driven into the redzone at the end of the first. Freshman running back Stephon Huderson was the one who ran it in, giving him his first career touchdown and bring the Green Wave to a 28-7 lead.

Freshman quarterback Darius Bradwell got another touchdown on Tulane’s next drive, followed by Hilliard’s third touchdown on a fourth down run. Tulane held the ball again at the end of the first half, driving to Tulsa’s 13-yard line before calling a timeout with 17 seconds remaining. Tulane had one timeout remaining, and continued to run plays, resulting in Banks scrambling to the end zone with five seconds to play. After a missed extra point, Tulane went to the locker room with a 48-7 lead at the half.

Tulane started the second half with their first punt of the game. Tulsa scored on the following drive, narrowing the gap to 48-14. Hilliard led Tulane’s response with a 43-yard touchdown run, his fourth of the day. Tulsa scored again following punting drives by both teams, but by this point Tulane had already begun resting its key starters. Both teams had an additional scoring drive, but the game was far too gone to be impacted. The rain began to fall with a minute to play, a fitting ending to a dominant performance by the Green Wave.

Tulane’s victory brings the team to 3-2 on the season and 1-1 in conference play. Tulane faces Florida International University next in Miami.

Leave a Comment