New Orleans coffee shops help students get through daily grind

coffee

Emily Meyer | Senior Staff Photographer

Mojo Coffee House is a popular coffee shop on Freret St. The establishment is frequented by Tulane students.

In honor of approaching finals and an inevitable lack of study spaces, Arcade compiled a list of coffee shops around New Orleans for the students, coffee addicts and hipsters in search of their daily caffeine rush.

Rook Cafe

Hidden just beyond Tulane staples Dat Dog and Blaze Pizza, Rook offers a quirky atmosphere, complete with a chessboard and a bookshelf of other games. With a variety of chess-themed drink specials, including the King, the Bishop and Pawn, Rook is perfect for a morning pick-me-up or peaceful hours-long study session.

Z’otz Cafe

Z’otz Cafe is a small, shotgun coffee shop known for its eerie, skeleton-themed atmosphere. As its slogan, “Home of the Strange and Unusual,” indicates, the funky art and bizarre knickknacks on the walls add a spookier coffeehouse aesthetic. Though the vibe is not for everyone, the variety of freshly-brewed coffee and tea is a crowd-pleaser.

French Truck Coffee

Regarded as having New Orleans’ best iced coffee by many who have tried it, French Truck Coffee has six locations in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Memphis. The sleek, minimalist interior design imitates the relatively simple coffee menu, but it does the basics right. Despite lacking many seating options at some locations, French Truck Coffee is the place to go for a quick morning coffee run.

The Bean Gallery

The Bean Gallery is a more upbeat spot known as the “most popular specialty coffee shop in Mid-City.” Its indoor and outdoor seating options are great for hanging out and people-watching, and its menu has everything you might need, from café au lait and chai tea to prosciutto paninis and blueberry cake.

Rue de la Course

Located in a beautiful, white marble building on South Carrollton Avenue, Rue de la Course is hard to miss. What it lacks in high quality coffee, Rue de la Course makes up for in its old-style architecture and ambiance. In addition to the many coffee options, it also has a wide variety of sandwiches and pastries to keep you satisfied all day.

Mojo Coffee Roasters

A more accessible option to Tulanians, Mojo offers an international coffee flavor, providing daily brews from Guatemala, Costa Rica, Kenya and more. Smooth coffee and tunes keep Mojo packed with students all weekend and make it an excellent place to spend an afternoon studying — if you can find an open seat.