Women’s tennis celebrates senior night with a doubleheader victory

Tulane tennis is quickly drawing to a close, with the women’s team celebrating senior night during its last doubleheader tournament against Southern University Jaguars and Southern Mississippi University Golden Eagles on Saturday.

While this season might be slowing down, the power behind the team is increasing with each passing match. The team first competed against Southern Miss with a series of six singles courts in action. Immediately clinching four out of six of the games, the Green Wave lit up the City Park Pepsi Tennis Center in its own fashion. Senior Sade Atkinson scored the No. 1 position with a tough fought 6-4 first game and a 6-5 second game. Sophomore Ivone Alvaro completed a nearly spotless two games, only falling once in the first round. These wins, along with sophomore Christina Sisti’s two victories, led the Green Wave to an overall 3-0 lead.

The Golden Eagles finally made the scoreboard when sophomore Laura Fabrizi lost her second match. This victory was short-lived, however, with Fabrizi quickly regaining ground to take back the tiebreaker set 7-1. With this win, Tulane took the entirety of the first match of the doubleheader 4-1. This victory also abruptly ended Southern Miss’ nine-match winning streak.

The Green Wave faced a quick turnaround with its second match against Southern University. This 4-0 shutout began with the dynamic duos of Atkinson/Fabrizi and Alvaro/junior Elena Muller gaining the first point in the doubles portion of the tournament. Continuing to the singles games, Tulane relentlessly put the Jaguars to the test, quickly claiming the first set on all six courts. Freshman Alex Alegre sealed the deal for the Green Wave, finishing the match with two victorious sets: 6-1 and 6-2.

While this tournament concludes the home field advantage for Tulane, the team will not complete the regular season until April 13, where it will take on University of Louisiana-Lafayette at the University of New Orleans. The first serve is currently scheduled for 2:30 p.m.