New Orleans classics for the New Orleans newbies

As the fall semester begins, there is so much for incoming students to get excited about: new classmates, new courses, even a new Bruff. For those who will be joining Tulane for the first time, The Hullabaloo has pulled together a few literary works, tv shows and movies to get freshmen excited and ready not only for Tulane, but also for New Orleans!

Read:

Jesmyn Ward’s “Sing, Unburied, Sing”*

“Sing, Unburied, Sing” is a compelling southern gothic masterpiece that explores the nuances of race, responsibility and family dynamics. Written by Tulane’s very own award-winning associate English professor Jesmyn Ward, this novel will make you bolt to register for one of the elusive creative writing courses she teaches.

Tennessee Williams’ “A Streetcar Named Desire”*

The classic play not only takes place in New Orleans, but was also written in New Orleans by the literary icon himself, Tennessee Williams. Landmarks such as the scenic streetcar and the streets of the French Quarter are prevalent in the play as well as in life in the city. Williams made such a great impact on literature that every spring here in New Orleans there is a literary festival named in his honor.

Anne Rice’s “Interview with a Vampire”

“Interview with a Vampire” by New Orleans native Anne Rice is by far the most chilling read on the list. New Orleans is widely known for its haunting history, and Rice’s vampire novels complement the ghost lore frighteningly well. And if the novels aren’t enough, the newly renovated Victorian mansion that Rice once owned (rumored to be haunted) is back on the market for $4.5 million.

Watch:

American Horror Story: Coven

American Horror Story: Coven brought teenage witches, voodoo and a not-so-healthy dose of competition to the forefront of pop culture. The third — and arguably best — season of the popular primetime FX television series took place in New Orleans. You may recognize the Buckner Mansion (Miss Robicheaux’s Academy), the Lalaurie Mansion and a number of other New Orleans landmarks in the show.

Girls Trip (filmed at Tulane)

The acclaimed comedy Girls Trip was filmed all over New Orleans. You can plainly see the festive bustle of Bourbon Street, Frenchmen Street, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome and several other landmarks. But more notedly for the Tulane Student, you’ll catch a couple glimpses of your own campus: the Josephine Louise Residence Hall ballroom, the steps of Newcomb Hall, etc.

22 Jump Street (filmed at Tulane)

Also an acclaimed comedy from years prior, 22 Jump Street filmed in New Orleans, though more obviously on Tulane’s campus (the film was set at a university). As a Tulane student it’s easy to point out Channing Tatum riding down McAlister Street and extras chilling on Newcomb Quad. They even erected a replica of the iconic balls statue on the Academic Quad to later use as a crude prop in the movie. Only in New Orleans, only at Tulane.

*depending on the courses you’re enrolled in this semester, you may encounter this reading on a syllabus or two