Free WSJ online subscriptions now available for Tulane students, faculty and staff

Keeping up with current events can be a struggle for college students who have to juggle breaking news blurbs and push alerts with classes and extracurriculars. Tulane’s newest partnership, however, may enable students to stay more connected with the outside world.

Adelaide Basco | Art Director

The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library announced on Aug. 17 that, in partnership with the A.B. Freeman School of Business, it had acquired access to the Wall Street Journal’s online website and mobile app for all Tulane students, faculty and staff members.

The personal subscription, which can be accessed here, comes with the option to set alerts for specific topics, save articles for future reading and subscribe to Wall Street Journal newsletters, among other features.

“The Wall Street Journal is said to be the largest newspaper in the United States by print circulation and provides a business-focused perspective,” Associate Dean of Libraries Andy Corrigan said.

According to Corrigan, current coverage from the paper, along with several other papers, was already available to the community through Factiva and several ProQuest databases, however, the personal subscription access offers a new way to read the paper.

“It’s a way that users really like to experience it, and there’s no barriers to access that way,” Instruction Librarian for Graduate Programs Betsy Clementson said. “Some of our databases, for example, have simultaneous user limits.”

The new subscriptions are for personal use and thus do not have the same user restrictions. Additionally, the personal subscriptions also come with the ability to set notifications regarding specific subtopics and categories, similar to the options available with the New York Times Online.

Sophomore Gabrielle Yoes-Favrot said she enjoys the new features that the personal WSJ subscription provides.

“[It’s nice to have] what you want to see most of,” Yoes-Favrot said. “I always tune it to my personal interests.”

The increased access also promises to impact politically active students and student organizations, including Young Americans for Liberty.

“As YAL gears up to engage in activism on topics ranging from criminal justice reform to the ballooning national debt, having access to both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal through Tulane will be a spectacular resource as we work to stay up-to-date,” President of YAL Marcus Maldonado said.

The free subscription will help students keep up-to-date on more than just politics. According to Assistant Professor of Political Science Geoffrey Dancy, students could gain a broader perspective by adding the Wall Street Journal to their reading habits.

“It can’t hurt students to read many papers every day to develop an appreciation of different but equally valid perspectives on the news,” Dancy said. “The newspaper presents a traditional center-right perspective on political events, with greater attention than other newspapers to economic affairs. And it does so in a way that is attentive to facts.”

Funding for the subscriptions comes from both the Turchin Library and the Howard-Tilton Library. Corrigan said the Turchin Library bore about 12 percent of the cost of the subscription.

For more information about the newspaper resources that are available at the library, click here.