Undercurrents: 5 things TU know this week

Emma Vaughters | Layout Editor

Fall Harvest Festival

The Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Office of International Students and Scholars are co-hosting the annual Fall Harvest Festival and Potluck Dinner on Tuesday, Nov. 20 in the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life. The event is meant to give international students, who tend to remain on campus during Thanksgiving break, and any other students who are still on campus the chance to experience Thanksgiving even when they are far from home.

Women’s Basketball Pride Day game

Tulane Athletics will be hosting their second annual Pride Day on Sunday, Nov. 18. The women’s basketball team will be playing against the Washington Huskies and all students will receive free admission. The event is co-hosted by New Orleans Advocates for GLBT Elders, Tulane’s Office of Gender and Sexual Diversity and PFLAG New Orleans. This game’s giveaways will be rainbow koozies, birthday cake and a beverage.

New Yorker comic honors the people making congress more diverse

The comic featured Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sharice Davids. Omar, who is the first Somali-American congressperson-elect, retweeted the photo with a hopeful message, exclaiming “My sisters and I are busting through these doors and will hold them wide open!” Studies have shown that when a woman is elected to office, seven more women, on average, will run for office in the following election cycle.

NSBE hosts STEM study hall sessions

Tulane’s chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers has been hosting study sessions for Calculus, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and other related courses in room 206 of the Science and Engineering Lab Complex. Anyone who is looking for help in these subjects or is able to offer help in these subjects is encouraged to attend. The next session will be Wednesday, Nov. 28.

Son of Ferguson activist dies in a suspected lynching

Last month, the son of Melissa McKinnies, an activist from Ferguson, Missouri, was found hanging from a tree in the family’s backyard. The St. Louis County Police claim that the death was a suicide, but McKinnies does not believe that her son could have tied the knots in the sheets he was hung from. The family is now waiting on the results of the victim’s toxicology test.