Men’s Tennis continues rocky start to season

Zachary Brandwein, Staff Writer

tulane tennis
Parker Waters

After winning four games at the ULL Hidden Duel event, the Tulane Green Wave men’s tennis team split their squad and competed in both the Battle at the Beach in Destin, Florida, as well as the Southern Mississippi Invitational in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Over three days, Sept. 23-25, Tulane totaled 18 wins, with 10 of the 18 coming on the final day of the tournaments. 

The Green Wave had a stellar performance in the Southern Mississippi Invitational, highlighted by redshirt junior Charlie Barry. Barry won all four of his appearances, including three singles wins over the University of South Alabama, University of New Orleans and University of Southern Mississippi. In Mississippi, Tulane picked up 10 of their 18 wins, while having one fewer day of games. 

In Destin, the team was not as lucky. Over the three day stretch, the team won seven of 18 games. The singles play was not bad, winning six of 12 games, but the doubles play was lackluster. The Green Wave had a 1-5 record, and four of those five losses came by at least two sets, the worst being two 8-4 defeats at the hands of Georgia State University on Saturday. 

After splitting the squads, the Green Wave reunited once again to travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and play in the Bama Invitational. Contrary to the last tournament, this time the singles play was not up to par. The Green Wave went 2-6, with wins from freshman Sam Scherer over Louisville 2-1 and fifth-year senior Benji Jacobson over Mercer 2-0. Jacobson and Scherer continued their dominant play, reaching the doubles finals. They collected a 6-2 win over Mercer on Sept. 30, and a 6-3 win over Louisville on Oct. 1. Sadly, they were unable to advance out of the final four, losing to the host Alabama 6-3. 

Junior Fynn Kuenkler made his Intercollegiate Tennis Association Championship debut on Oct. 3. Kuenkler was able to beat Columbia University freshman Michael Zeng to advance to the round of 64. Kuenkler was able to give the Green Wave their first win at the ITA Championship since 2019. Unfortunately, Kuenkler’s run ended in the next round, losing to University of Arizona junior Herman Hoeyeraal in three sets. The Green Wave will travel back to Tuscaloosa, Alabama for the ITA Southern Regional, which takes place from Oct. 13-17