Tulane voter guide to Louisiana primaries

Katherine Dawson, Staff Writer

The New Orleans Smoothie King Center was established as an early voting location in the 2020 elections. (Infrogmation of New Orleans on Flickr)

Louisiana’s open primary elections start Oct. 25, and voters in Tulane University’s district of Orleans Parish can expect a U.S. Senate race, a 1st Congressional District race and a question about slavery among other topics on upcoming ballots.   

The early voting period begins on Oct. 25 and ends on Nov. 1. Voting is open every day from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. During these dates, voters can send in a physical ballot or proceed to the nearest early voting locale. In Orleans Parish, early voting centers include City Hall, the Algiers Courthouse, the voting machine warehouse on Chef Menteur Highway and Lake Vista Community Center. 

Voters can also cast ballots on election day, Nov. 8, and polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.  

Ballots can also be sent in via mail, however they can only be counted if received during the early voting period or on election day.      

There are six political races on the upcoming ballot. Tulane University students registered to vote using an address on or near campus may fall under the 1st or 2nd Congressional District depending on exact registration address.  

The first is a race for one seat in the U.S. Senate, with candidates Republican John Kennedy (incumbent), and Democrats Luke Mixon, Gary Chambers Jr. and Syrita Steib. 

The race for the U.S. Representative 1st Congressional District pits Republican Steve Scalise (incumbent) against Democrat Katie Darling. The 1st District includes all of Tulane’s campus, as well as most surrounding areas. 

Some areas surrounding Tulane fall into Louisiana’s 2nd Congressional District. That race pits incumbent Democrat Troy Carter against Republican Dan Lux. 

The third race is for a seat as a Judge for the Court of Appeal 4th Circuit at Large, with candidates Republican “Joseph” Cao, Democrat Karen Herman and Democrat Marie Williams. 

The fourth race is for State Senator for the 5th Senatorial District. Incumbent Royce Duplessis faces Mandie Landry. Both are Democrats. 

The fifth race is for a seat as Judge of Municipal and Traffic Court Division D, with candidates Derek Russ and Mark J. Shea. Both are Democrats. 

The sixth race is for a seat as Judge of Municipal and Traffic Division E, with candidates Geoffrey L. Gates and Bobbie Smith. Both are Democrats. 

The final race is for Clerk 1st City Court. Austin Badon faces Donna Glapion. Both are Democrats. 

The following list is of all amendments to be presented on the ballot that registered voters will either vote for or against:

Louisiana Amendment 1 would increase the maximum amount invested in equities for certain state funds. It would modify how much of certain state funds are allowed to be invested in equities. 

Louisiana Amendment 2 is a property tax exemption for certain disabled veterans and spouses. It would expand property tax exemptions for disabled veterans with homestead exempt properties. 

Louisiana Amendment 3 is titled Classified Civil Service Employee Public Support of Family Members’ Campaigns Measure. It would allow classified civil service employees to support family members if they ran for public office. 

Louisiana Amendment 4 is called the Waiving Water Charges Measure. It would allow a political subdivision to waive water charges under certain situations. 

Louisiana Amendment 5 is called Adjustment of Ad Valorem Tax Rates Measure and would allow the state to increase ad valorem tax rates by a two-thirds vote of a taxing authority. Those rates could then reach up to the maximum rate outlined by the constitution until the authorized rate expires. 

Louisiana Amendment 6 is called the Limit on Assessed Value Increase of Reappraised Property in Orleans Parish Measure. It would limit the increase in assessed value of certain property following reappraisal in Orleans Parish. 

Louisiana Amendment 7 is called the Remove Involuntary Servitude as Punishment for a Crime from Constitution Measure. It would remove language from the state constitution that allows involuntary servitude as punishment for crime and add language clarifying that slavery and involuntary servitude “does not apply to the otherwise lawful administration of criminal justice.” Rep. Edmond Jordan, D – Baton Rouge authored the bill but now says its language has become twisted and hopes voters will vote against it. 

Louisiana Amendment 8 is called the Remove Special Assessment Property Tax Annual Income Recertification for Permanently Disabled Homeowners Measure. It would remove the requirement of annual certification of income for certain eligible disabled homeowners.  

Party affiliation does not take play during this upcoming election. Louisiana has an open primary system, allowing all registered voters to vote for partisan candidates no matter their political leanings.