Retooled women’s basketball looks ahead to the season

Layla Reese, Staff Writer

Head Coach Lisa Stockton enters her 29th season at the helm of Green Wave women’s basketball. (Parker Waters)

Tulane women’s basketball will have an exhibition game against Loyola University New Orleans on Nov. 1 at the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse. Last season, Tulane finished top three in the American Athletic Conference 11-5 and 21-10 overall. For three consecutive years, Tulane women’s basketball has achieved top five in the American Athletic Conference with head coach Lisa Stockton

Last season, Tulane scored six percent higher on three-point range shots than opponents and scored 11 percent higher than opponents overall. This is coach Stockton’s 29th season with the team and just last year in February, she achieved 600th win overall as a collegiate coach when Tulane women’s basketball took the win against Memphis

With tip off only days away, Stockton explained that, last season, the team had “a pretty veteran group” including five seniors. Although last year, the roster consisted of five seniors, the new roster is looking great with some players from last season, as well as some transfers and freshmen. With new changes to the roster, Stockton said that “[this] summer was really important for [them],” and it was mostly about “just getting to know each other.” 

This season Tulane brings in talented freshmen and transfers, including Jaylee Womack, Amira Mabry, Kyren Whittington and Rachel Hakes

During pre-season practices, Stockton said that the freshmen have “done a great job,” and the incoming transfers can add some more experience to the team. Stockton mentioned that there is “a lot of talent” with the new roster and that the stats speak for themself. 

According to Stockton, this season brings in a new strength and conditioning coach along with young players that can “develop in the program.” As for goals and expectations, Stockton explained that it will be exciting for players that “were on the bench last year behind the seniors and some of the new players” to have a change in responsibilities. With the new roster, Stockton elaborates that they’ve got some athleticism and some size and this team can really mature and be good when they get to conference. 

Tulane women’s basketball will start off their first season home game against Grambling State University Nov. 7 at the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse. The last matchup against Grambling was 2017 with Tulane women’s basketball winning 66-49. Tulane women’s basketball has stayed consistent over the years, and this season leaves room for growth and success.