Hullabaloo awarded eighth Newspaper Pacemaker

Jude Papillion, Editor-in-Chief

Current Hullabaloo editor Jude Papillion and former managing editor Lily Mae Lazarus are awarded National Pacemaker by ACP executive director Laura Widmer at MediaFest 22 in Washington, D.C. (Jude Papillion)

The Hullabaloo, Tulane University’s student-run newspaper, was awarded a Newspaper Pacemaker on Friday, Oct. 28 at MediaFest22 in Washington, D.C. The National Pacemaker Awards, distributed annually by the Associated Collegiate Press, are considered to be the most prestigious awards in college journalism. 

Out of 88 entries in the newspaper category, 34 were named finalists in September and 19 student newspapers were named ‘best of the best’ last Friday. Entries were judged based upon “coverage and content; quality of writing and reporting; leadership; design; photography; and graphics,” according to the ACP. 

The Hullabaloo was last named a finalist in 2017, last won in 2013 and now has eight Newspaper Pacemaker Awards in its 118-year history. Its 2021-22 management included editor-in-chief Maiya Tate and managing editor Lily Mae Lazarus. 

The Hullabaloo was also recognized as a Pacemaker 100 recipient by the ACP. The Pacemaker 100 honored the top 100 publications in the Pacemaker award’s history including collegiate newspapers, magazines, online publications, yearbooks, and broadcasts. 

Lazarus received fifth place honors in the Feature Story category of the ACP’s Story of the Year competition for her article, “‘Expel rapists:’ Survivors testify to sexual violence at Tulane.”

Current news editor Martha Sanchez and former news editor Rohan Goswami received honorable mention honors in the In-Depth News Story category for their piece, ‘“Chaos’ at Campus Health: Employees cite burnout, abuse, dangerous levels of turnover.”