5 headlines you might have missed over break

Martha Sanchez, News Editor

gibson hall
From crime around campus to the governor’s race, here’s the headlines you might have missed over winter break. (Gabe Darley)

TUPD increases patrols after armed robberies

The Tulane University Police Department is increasing patrols in off-campus neighborhoods after a carjacking and two armed robberies unnerved students as they returned to campus for class this week. 

A student was carjacked at the corner of Broadway and Birch Streets early Friday morning. Early Sunday, police responded to two armed robberies on Hillary Street. Three students were robbed at gunpoint in the 1100 Block of Hillary, and another reported an armed robbery in the 1500 Block that night. 

Police believe the same individuals committed the three robberies. They have identified them as three males in their teens or early twenties. 

In an email sent to students Sunday morning, TUPD Chief Kirk Bouyelas said the department would increase patrols “in and around the Broadway corridor that borders campus.”

“We are working actively to investigate the most recent incidents, which appear to be perpetrated by the same individuals, and apprehend the suspects while also taking a proactive measures to prevent future incidents,” Bouyelas said. 

Former State Senator Karen Carter Peterson sentenced

The jury sentenced former Louisiana State Senator Karen Carter Peterson to 22 months in prison in January after using over $140,000 taken from the state Democratic Party and her own campaign money to gamble at casinos. 

Peterson resigned in April after WWL-TV reported she violated a self-imposed ban on entering casinos. Peterson later disclosed she suffered from a gambling addiction. In April, she pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud. 

Peterson represented New Orleans’ Uptown district for over 22 years and served as chair of the Louisiana Democratic Party from 2013 to 2020. 

Peterson has paid restitution to the Democratic Party and reimbursed her campaign account. U.S. District Judge Sarah Vance ordered her to report to the Federal Bureau of Prisons on March 6. 

Jazz Fest lineup released

Ed Sheeran, Lizzo and the Lumineers are among the names that will headline the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival this spring. 

The festival takes place April 28 to May 7. Other big names set to perform include Mumford & Sons, Santana, Jon Batiste, H.E.R, Leon Bridges, Ludacris and the Revivalists. 

The festival will also host hundreds of small and local bands and artists at the New Orleans Fair Grounds. 

Endymion withdraws Mel Gibson invitation

New Orleans Carnival Krewe Endymion withdrew its invitation to film star and director Mel Gibson to be the krewe’s grand marshal this month, after a barrage of criticism the krewe faced over ignoring Gibson’s past history of making antisemitic comments. 

Endymion revoked Gibson’s invitation and pledged to do better. 

Endymion is one of the Carnival season’s largest parades and typically enlists celebrities to ride atop its floats as grand marshals. 

A month ago, Endymion announced that Tulane football head coach Willie Fritz would ride as grand marshal. Fritz is set to ride in the parade on Feb. 18. 

Candidates enter field for governor’s race

The race for the next governor of Louisiana is becoming clearer after more candidates pledged to run and others bowed out of the race last month. 

The candidates who have pledged to run? Attorney General Jeff Landry, State Treasurer John Schroder, State Senator Sharon Hewitt and State Representative Richard Nelson. 

Those who have said they will not run include Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser, Senator Bill Cassidy and Senator John Kennedy. 

Attorney General Jeff Landry netted the state GOP’s endorsement last year, attracting criticism that the early endorsement was anti-competitive. 

The gubernatorial primary is Oct. 14.