Tulane swim wins senior day meet

Mark Keplinger, Sports Editor

Tulane swimming and diving held their only home swim meet on Jan. 28 against the West Florida Argonauts. Held at the Ochsner Fitness Center in Elmwood, Louisiana, about a 15 minute drive from Tulane’s Uptown campus, the team honored their seniors in a noontime ceremony before competing at 2 p.m.

The team’s former on campus home in the Reily Center is still under construction and will not be completed until fall 2023. The pool has been closed since March of 2020.

At the noon ceremony, seniors Mya Drost-Parra, Olivia Davison, Kate Amar and Gabby Hebert were all honored for their contributions to the program.

At the meet itself, the hosts came away 124.5-80.5 victors after competing in 11 events with Tulane topping the podium seven times.

Long distance specialist Elena Gingras was the Green Wave’s best swimmer of the day with two race victories. In the 1000-yard freestyle, Gingras swam a brilliant race finishing close to 11 seconds ahead of the runner-up. It was much closer in the 500-yard freestyle, but Gingras out-touched Argonauts swimmer Shannah Dillman by 0.22 seconds.

Another notable event was the 200-yard individual medley, where Tulane swept the podium. Gianna Spremullo touched first for the Wave, followed by Drost-Parra and Autumn Keats-O’Connor. 

Along with the 200-yard IM, Drost-Parra managed a second-place finish on two other occasions — the 200-yard team medley and 100-yard butterfly.

Tulane’s Olympian Danielle Titus also had three second-place finishes — the 200-yard IM, 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard freestyle relay.

Tulane will next compete in Dallas at the American Athletic Conference Championship, taking place between Feb. 15-18.