Green beats Black 14-3 in Tulane spring game

Mark Keplinger, Sports Editor

Courtesy of Parker Waters

Tulane football hosted their spring game on Saturday, March 25. After coming off a successful season with an American Athletic Conference Championship and a Cotton Bowl victory, the Green Wave’s new look has practiced for the last month, working to improve themselves ahead of the 2023 season.

The game itself had a scrimmage-like atmosphere with 7.5-minute quarters and a shortened halftime. The entire team was split into two squads: Green and Black corresponding to the jersey colors they wore. Michael Pratt started at quarterback for Green while Kai Horton was the signal caller for Black. Justin Ibieta, who was the backup quarterback at the start of last season, is still recovering from a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder which he got during the Houston game.

Green had the first highlight of the day when transfer linebacker Tyler Grubbs, from Louisiana Tech University, intercepted Horton. Green capped off a 53-yard drive when running back Arnold Barnes, an early enrolled freshman, punched in for a 3-yard touchdown.

Black got on the board before the half when Valentino Ambrosio nailed a 48-yard field goal. There were no defenders or blockers on the field for the attempt. At halftime, Tulane head coach Willie Fritz was honored with the Bobby Dodd Trophy Coach of the year award.

Green scored the final touchdown of the game when reserve quarterback Carson Haggard found Texas A&M transfer Yulkeith Brown for a score to give the squad a 14-3 win.

After the game, the player’s on last year’s team received their championship rings for winning the AAC.

Tulane begins their 2023 campaign when they host University of South Alabama on Sept. 2.