Gabi Liebeler elected next Hullabaloo editor-in-chief

Aidan McCahill, Associate News Editor

Gabi Liebeler is the new Editor-in-Chief of the Tulane Hullabaloo for Fall 2023. Liebeler is bringing her passion for journalism and experience as Managing Editor to her new role. (Courtesy of Gabi Liebeler)

The Tulane Hullabaloo has elected junior Gabi Liebeler to serve as editor-in-chief for the 2023-2024 school year. Liebeler, originally from Washington D.C., is studying political science and philosophy. 

She will take over from Jude Papillion, senior and current editor-and-chief of The Hullabaloo. 

Liebeler started writing op-eds for The Hullabaloo as a freshman. 

“I started college feeling very dissatisfied [as a result of the pandemic],” Liebeler said. “Writing was an easy way to feel connected in a very disconnecting time.”

Liebeler said The Hullabaloo quickly became “an integral part of [her] college experience” and has taught her about both Tulane University and the New Orleans community.

Liebeler was editor of the Views section from 2021-2022 before her role as managing editor this past year. 

“I have learned so much more about The Hullabaloo,” Liebeler said about her role. “I know the content of this paper through-and-through.”

Liebeler said she plans to build on prior leadership experience and seeks to strengthen student engagement — an aspect she recognizes has been difficult since COVID-19.

“I want to change how people engage in our digital and print news and how Tulane students participate in the news,” Liebeler said.

Next year, Liebeler hopes to refine The Hullabaloo as a recognizable product, while ensuring Tulanians can continue to rely on the publication as a trustworthy local news source for “all of our stories to be told and all of our voices to be heard.”