• TUA update

Student government to host spring elections this week

• Tulane University removed Tonya Hansel as director of the doctor of social work program. Hansel remains a tenured professor.

Director of Tulane doctor of social work program removed

• The New Orleans Book Festival at Tulane University is scheduled for Mar. 14-16.

Book Fest schedule features Stacey Abrams, Jake Tapper

Governor, religion, election integrity on ballot this season

Landry, Schroder, and Wilson leading Louisiana gubernatorial race (Illustration by Nathan Rich)

The seat for Louisiana governor is up for grabs this fall as incumbent Democrat Governor John Bel Edwards is term limited. The primary election will take place on Oct. 14 and if no candidate receives more than 50% of the vote, the final election will be Nov. 18. 

Frontrunners in the race are Republicans Jeff Landry and John Schroder, Democrat Shawn Wilson and Independent Hunter Lundy. Landry is at a significant advantage in campaign contributions with over $9 million raised so far. 

All university students are eligible to vote in Louisiana elections, though only students with Louisiana IDs or driver’s licenses can register through the online platform. Out-of-state students must complete a paper application using their social security number and proof of residence. 

TurboVote is an online platform that simplifies the registration process and will mail students, with a return envelope, the application with most of the information prefilled. The program also allows students to check their registration status and will send reminders for upcoming elections. 

Landry is the current Louisiana state attorney general and is the only candidate endorsed by the Republican party and former President Donald Trump. With experience working in law enforcement, his campaign has centered on cracking down on crime. 

The Louisiana Democratic Party is endorsing Wilson, the former secretary of the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. A graduate of University of Louisiana, Wilson supports increasing teacher pay and improving the statewide literacy rate. He also supports expanding medicaid and handling the surge of fentanyl use as a public health crisis through public education campaigns and aid distribution to local communities, according to his campaign website

Republican Schroder is the current state treasurer and formerly served in the LA House of Representatives. Schroder’s platform focuses on crime and corruption, as well as improving education and strengthening the economy by removing barriers to small business development. According to his campaign website, he aims to prevent a deficit in the state budget while still reducing personal income taxes. 

Lundy is running as an independent. He is a member of the governing board of the National Association of Christian Lawmakers, a nonprofit group that advocates for faith-based legislation. He is pro-life, except when a mother’s life is threatened and supports the death penalty, according to a profile from nola.com

There are eight measures up for public vote this election season, four each on the October and November ballots. 

Amendment 1 would “prohibit funds, goods, or services donated by foreign governments or nongovernmental sources” from being used by state and local governments in running elections. Supporters of the measure claim it will strengthen election integrity, while critics say it will further exacerbate shortages for election funding. 

Amendment 2, also called the “Constitutional Right to Worship in a Church or Place of Worship Amendment,” would create a provision in the state constitution describing the right to worship as a right worthy of the “highest order of protection.” This would allow courts more scrutiny over any laws passed that conflict with the right to worship.