• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

Strong City plays host to underprivileged families

Photo courtesy of Becca Owens

On Sept. 23, a handful of New Orleans families were treated to an unforgettable experience, thanks to a Tulane University student-run organization. Strong City, founded in 2015 by alumnus Peter Gold, invited children and families to the Green Wave football game against Nicholls State University for a day filled with free food, photo opportunities and other fun activities.

Strong City’s president Becca Owens said the day had an empowering effect. 

Its goal, she said, was to “provide the children and families we work with with normative experiences they otherwise would not have the opportunity to engage in … we hope that all of our events provide the kids with enriching experiences and lasting memories that break up their daily struggles.”

Strong City aims to eradicate the “cycles of poverty and violence in New Orleans” by partnering with local institutions centered around youth development. This method of outreach has been proven effective by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, whose 2014 report suggests that “youth development programs are a promising tool in the arsenal of programs designed to decrease problem behaviors.” 

Two of Strong City’s most prominent partner organizations are Youth Empowerment Project and the New Orleans Women and Children’s Shelter. Both are active in the local community and engage regularly with disadvantaged communities, especially those enduring the trials of growing up. A 2022 study from the United States Census Bureau states that 23.8% of New Orleans residents are impoverished. The need for outreach programs is clear, and these organizations are at the forefront of the fight against poverty.

Strong City’s strategic partnerships with these veteran organizations bolsters the efforts of those working to uplift the city’s most vulnerable, namely by providing valuable labor and unforgettable experiences for those in suffering. The quality of Strong City’s work is a high priority. An impressive array of events dot the organization’s calendar, ensuring that their volunteers are doing the most to reach the underserved communities of New Orleans. Last spring semester, Strong City partnered with Tulane’s Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council to host a spelling bee that raised $3,700. The fundraiser led to the addition of two new rooms at the New Orleans Women and Children’s Shelter.

In November, Strong City plans to put on its annual Thanksgiving food drive. This year’s incarnation of the food drive marks the first time the organization has partnered with Support + Feed and Top Box for the inclusion of fresh produce in their boxes. The organization’s goal is to raise $15,000, a step up from the previous year’s total.Strong City plays host to underprivileged families