• TUA update

Student government to host spring elections this week

• Tulane University removed Tonya Hansel as director of the doctor of social work program. Hansel remains a tenured professor.

Director of Tulane doctor of social work program removed

• The New Orleans Book Festival at Tulane University is scheduled for Mar. 14-16.

Book Fest schedule features Stacey Abrams, Jake Tapper

‘Modern Woman’ Erin Rae comes to Toulouse Theatre

Photo courtesy of Bobby Crane

Erin Rae, one of country music’s blossoming artists, came to New Orleans last Saturday, Oct. 14. The 33-year-old and her band commanded a sizable audience at Toulouse Theatre in the French Quarter.

Erin Rae’s Saturday performance was a part of her first headline tour, “Lighten Up & Try.” The Nashville-based artist has steadily been rising in the ranks of talented country artists. Music media outlets such as Pitchfork favorably reviewed her 2022 album, “Lighten Up,” and Erin Rae has used this newfound traction to delve deeper into the country sound she’s so adept at. Most recently, she contributed to musician Tyler Childers’ album, “Rustin’ in the Rain,” lending her voice for background vocals.

Toulouse Theatre could not have been a better setting for the show. The venue’s intimate vibe allowed for optimal acoustics in a hazy, lowkey atmosphere, turning the show into something of an earnest confessional. The opening act, local country band The Lostines, served as the perfect appetizer for Erin Rae. The select songs they played proved to be the perfect segue into the tunes that would follow.

As Erin Rae and her band played, couples in the crowd slow-danced to songs like “Modern Woman,” “Wild Blue Wind” and “True Love’s Face.” The lyrics of these tracks reveal Erin Rae’s superb narrative abilities, as well as her penchant for writing memorable hooks. She can craft a stimulating story while still keeping her music accessible. 

In full disclosure, this was the first country music concert I’ve ever attended. I’m fully aware of my lack of knowledge regarding the genre, but for a few hours at the theater, I felt like a true fan. It certainly helps that Erin Rae’s backing band is as talented as they are. The warm mixture of drums, guitars and keys complimented her voice, creating a smooth blend of introspective Americana. 

While Erin Rae’s stage presence was reserved, she made sure to voice her appreciation for the turnout, as well as the impromptu dancing unfolding in front of her. She fosters a homey feeling by welcoming everyone to enjoy her music, even an outsider like myself.