• TUA update

Student government to host spring elections this week

• Tulane University removed Tonya Hansel as director of the doctor of social work program. Hansel remains a tenured professor.

Director of Tulane doctor of social work program removed

• The New Orleans Book Festival at Tulane University is scheduled for Mar. 14-16.

Book Fest schedule features Stacey Abrams, Jake Tapper

Five new albums for 2023 holiday season

Graphic by Mylie Bluhm

Though Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” is undergoing its annual defrosting on Spotify and Apple Music around the world, a handful of contemporary artists are bringing fresh, new holiday albums to the music scene as the year comes to a close.

fruitcake,” Sabrina Carpenter

Carpenter released her Christmas EP “fruitcake” in mid-November, bringing sass, spunk and originality to the holiday music scene with tracks like “buy me presents” and a holiday remix of her hit song, “Nonsense.” Riding the success of her 2022 album “emails i can’t send” and her position as opener for Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour, Carpenter solidifies her pop-princess status with her smooth vocals and cheeky yet festive lyrics.

Christmas,” Cher

Grammy and Academy Award-winner and international superstar Cher released her first holiday album, “Christmas.” Refreshing some old classics and boasting some high-energy originals like “DJ Play A Christmas Song,” Cher brings her diva personality to the holidays and keeps her signature style consistent throughout the album. After promoting the album at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade last week, it’s clear that “Christmas” will bring in old and new fans alike and will only add to the superstar’s acclaim. 

“The Greatest Christmas Hits,” Pentatonix

Pentatonix, the reigning champions of a capella music and, arguably, contemporary holiday music, return this year with “The Greatest Christmas Hits,” combining some of their most popular covers of holiday classics with new arrangements. Despite being Pentatonix’s eighth holiday release, their newest offering features a plethora of rejuvenated classics. Their cover of Seal’s “Kiss from a Rose” proves that any song can be made festive, and their rendition of “O Little Town of Bethlehem” remixed with a version by Elvis Presley breathes life into a timeless classic, proving that the group’s holiday arsenal is far from depleted.

“We Wish You The Merriest,” Seth MacFarlane and Liz Gillies

Vocal powerhouses Seth MacFarlane and Liz Gillies hit the holiday scene with their album of duets, “We Wish You the Merriest.” This album brings the artists’ swing style voices to familiar jazz Christmas classics. Sure to evoke warm, fuzzy feelings and the Christmas spirit, this album is a perfect new addition to your holiday party playlists and family gatherings. 

“A Classic Christmas,” Gavin DeGraw

Finally, singer-songwriter DeGraw resurfaces with “A Classic Christmas.” With six covers of some of the most iconic Christmas songs ever, DeGraw’s folk style brings an easygoing feel to this Christmas season. Giving us just what he promised — the classics and no more — DeGraw’s album is short and sweet but filled with the early 2000s nostalgia that made him popular.