• TUA update

Student government to host spring elections this week

• Tulane University removed Tonya Hansel as director of the doctor of social work program. Hansel remains a tenured professor.

Director of Tulane doctor of social work program removed

• The New Orleans Book Festival at Tulane University is scheduled for Mar. 14-16.

Book Fest schedule features Stacey Abrams, Jake Tapper

‘Special opportunity’: New Tulane athletic director returns home

“I knew this was a special opportunity,” new Tulane Athletic Director David Harris said about the return to his home state of Louisiana. (Andrew Balestrery)

Tulane University hired David Harris as the new athletic director, where he will oversee all of Tulane’s athletic staff, coaches, administrators and student-athletes.

Harris is a Baton Rouge native and has served as athletic director for the University of Northern Iowa since 2016. Harris will officially begin his role at Tulane starting Jan. 3.

After former athletic director Troy Dannen accepted a position as the athletic director for the University of Washington on Oct. 7, Tulane hired Harris on Nov. 21. 

When Dannen announced he was leaving Tulane, Harris contacted Todd Turner, chairman and founder of Collegiate Sports Associates, an executive search and consulting company. Harris said he wasn’t sure that Turner would even handle Tulane’s search, but he wanted to show his interest. 

“That’s not normal in these situations because typically, you’re contacted by a search firm about possible interests,” Harris said in a Nov. 27 press conference. “I contacted him because I knew this was a special opportunity, and I wanted him to know and understand that I was definitely interested.”

A few weeks later, when Harris was contacted by Turner’s son, there was “no hesitation, no second thoughts, no doubt about this opportunity,” Harris said.

Harris’s parents and two older sisters were born in New Orleans, then moved to Baton Rouge, where he and his younger brother were born. Harris said he considered New Orleans his second home growing up and knows it is the right place for his family. 

The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics named Harris the Athletic Director of the Year in 2021. Harris is currently a member of the NCAA’s Division I Council, the NCAA’s Council Coordination Committee and chair of the NCAA’s Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee. 

Harris has worked in Division I athletics administration for over 25 years at Iowa State University, the University of Wisconsin and the University of Mississippi, where he was on the football team as a student. 

“My career began supporting the academic dreams of student-athletes and it’s always been important to me to find a university that had a high academic reputation,” Harris said. “I understand how important it is to do well in the classroom.”

Student-athletes under Harris have consistently maintained GPAs and graduation rates that are higher than the overall student body. Throughout his career, Harris has seen a strong connection between athletics and academics.

“I believe Tulane can be the model for college athletics. We want to be the very best. We want to have comprehensive excellence on a consistent basis,” Harris said. “How do we achieve that? We do it with academic excellence, making sure our student-athletes graduate at a high level and do their very best in the classroom.”

At Tulane, Harris will begin his new career focusing on student-athletes’ well-being. He said he is thrilled and honored to join the Green Wave, “especially at this moment when success and interest in the program is at such historic heights.”