• OPINION | To fight or flinch: Why Democrats need to get serious about 2024

OPINION | To fight or flinch: Why Democrats need to get serious about 2024

• Tulane University archaeologists discovered a 1,700-year-old Maya king’s tomb in northeastern Guatemala.

Tulane archaeologist unearths ancient treasures from Maya tomb

• The Green Wave will be featured in EA Sports College Football 25

EA Sports: We’re ‘in the game’

Tulane partners with new dining company Aramark

Lindsay Ruhl
Aramark pitched their services to students in the Lake Theater back in October at a townhall aimed to gather student feedback on prospective food vendor companies. Tulane announced on Jan. 10 that it will be using Aramark as its new food service vendor.

Tulane University announced on Jan. 10 that it would partner with a new food service vendor, Aramark Collegiate Hospitality, ending its 40-year-long partnership with Sodexo.

After Tulane considered not renewing Sodexo’s contract in early October, a competitive process began to find a new dining and food service company. The process included gathering direct feedback and input from students, faculty and staff.

“The Aramark team presented the strongest opportunity for partnership following a competitive bid process that aligns most with the university’s heightened ambition for the campus dining program and its role in supporting Tulane’s mission, vision, values, and path forward,” Brian Johnson, associate vice president of campus operations, said.

Starting in July, Aramark will operate in Tulane’s residential and retail dining, full-service catering and concessions.

“We believe that this exciting development aligns seamlessly with Tulane’s commitment to excellence, innovation, and the holistic development of our community members,” Johnson said. “It is all part of Tulane’s commitment to enhancing the student experience, providing more food options for faculty and staff, and seeking excellence in all we do.”

The major changes that will come with the Aramark partnership include new station offerings in the The Dining Room at Malkin Sacks Commons and Green Wave Grill and planned enhancements for food destinations on the academic quad, medical school cafeteria, retail coffee locations across campus, Lavin-Bernick Center food court, 1834 Café, Le Gourmet and a new concept at Provisions on the Thirtieth Parallel.

“Over the next six months, the Dining Team and Aramark are working diligently to prepare for the July first transition date,” Johnson said. “Several new concepts will be coming online for August which include Shakesmart, a new convenience store at the Small Family Collaboration Hub, and a new concept in Le Gourmet by Butler Hall.”

With the Aramark partnership, future online ordering and to-go orders will use GrubHub. The dining team is also making a big move to reduce compostables on campus; in August, students will see a new reusable container program that will be used in the LBC food court and other retail locations.

Despite Sodexo’s contract ending, all current Sodexo hourly employees are guaranteed a position with Aramark, according to Johnson. Employees who join the Aramark team will receive their current rate of pay or better — $15 per hour minimum — and will continue to have their tenure and will receive enhanced benefits.

“There will also be improved compensation and professional development for our dining services team members, including more formal culinary/hospitality training programs in partnership with New Orleans Culinary and Hospitality Institute and elevated compensation in the form of enhanced benefits,” Johnson said.